[Air-L] [External] Critical Internet Studies Ethnographies for Use in Undergrad Methods course

Morten Bay mortench at usc.edu
Tue Oct 26 09:39:44 PDT 2021

Hi,

It's not a book, it's a report, but when I need a good example of an ethnography involving Internet sources, I usually turn to Dr. Francesca Tripodi's excellent Data & Society report on how online sources interact with other channels to form media practices among conservative news consumers: https://datasociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Data_Society_Searching-for-Alternative-Facts.pdf

The anthology 'Digital Sociologies', edited by Jessie Daniels, Karen Gregory, and Tressie McMillan Cottom also has some good (shorter) online ethnographies in it: https://policy.bristoluniversitypress.co.uk/digital-sociologies

I would also recommend 'Watch Me Play' by T.L. Taylor about Twitch: http://watchmeplay.cc/

I also totally echo the recommendation of Dr. Roberts book, which is really great - and if you can find the documentary it inspired, 'The Cleaners', that's a really good companion. I use all of the above in my teaching.

Thanks,

Morten