[Air-L] AoIR2021 Satellite Events

Michelle, Association of Internet Researchers ac at aoir.org
Wed Sep 29 14:55:45 PDT 2021

*AoIR 2021 is almost upon us!*
There are FOUR satellite events leading up to the conference and they start
next week. Registration for these are FREE to all current AoIR members.

Please ensure that your membership is up to date, join or renew your
membership <https://members.aoir.org/join>, and be sure to register for the
conference <https://members.aoir.org/event-4396398> to not miss other news
about what is happening this year!

Once you are a member, you can learn more information on each and see the
registration links on our website:
https://members.aoir.org/AoIR2021Satellite-Events

*Interfacing, interacting, internetting in pandemic times: Perspectives
from the Indian Subcontinent*

4 October, 2021; 12:30 – 15:30 UTC (6 – 9 p.m. Indian Standard Time)
Registration deadline: 1 October!

Hosts:
Usha Raman, University of Hyderabad
Nimmi Rangaswamy, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad

An AoIR 2021 Satellite Event hosted by the Department of Communication,
University of Hyderabad and the International Institute of Information
Technology, Hyderabad, India.

This Round Table will feature a set of short interventions by early career
researchers, with responses from senior scholars as well as an open
discussion, on the following themes keeping in mind the context of the
pandemic: socio-politics of digital design, platform work, online
teaching/learning, the home/office non-boundary, leisure practices and
relational dynamics.
- -

*Comparing Fuzzy Things:an AoIR Satellite Event*

5 October 2021; 13:00-16:00 UTC
Hosts:
Kelly Quinn, University of Illinois at Chicago
Dmitry Epstein - Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Philipp Masur - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Lemi Baruh - Koç University
Christophe Lutz - BI Norwegian Business School
Carsten Wilhelm - Université de Haute Alsace

Internet researchers often engage in the study of complex,
multidimensional, and culturally sensitive ideas. Deploying such concepts
in comparative research settings is critically important to knowledge
advancement, yet challenging to implement in practice. This workshop is
designed to engage members of the AoIR community in exploring the
conceptualization and study of fuzzy concepts, such as trust, love,
sharing, and happiness, in a comparative fashion. It will provide an
opportunity to exchange ideas about how such comparative work can be
conducted across disciplines.

This workshop is sponsored by the
Comparative Privacy Research Network.
- -

*Undergraduate Teaching and the Internet: AoIR 2021 Satellite Workshop*

7 October, 2021; 21:00-24:00 UTC

Hosts:
Adrienne Shaw, Temple University
Holly Kruse, Rogers State University
Emily van der Nagel, Monash University

Teaching is a big part of our academic lives, and in the classroom (on
campus or virtual), our students’ understandings of social media and
internet use don’t always align with broader press and research narratives.
What do we learn from our students about the internet, how are we using the
internet to teach, and what’s the best way of bringing AoIR research into
our classrooms? How do we use the internet in teaching when our students
don’t have broadband access, aren’t digitally-savvy, and when our
institutions do not offer robust technical infrastructures or support?
- -

*Children’s internet use: from findings to frameworks*
An interactive session AoIR2021 satellite event

9 October 13:00-16:00 UTC | 15:00-18:00 CEST
Hosts:
Professor Sonia Livingstone and Dr Mariya Stoilova
Department of Media and Communications, London School of Economics and
Political Science

We would like to invite you to join an interactive discussion on how to
move beyond empirical findings and think about the current debates on
children and digital technologies. What are the key concepts to work with?
Which are the best theoretical approaches? What tools can we use to help us
structure what we know?

The event is part of CO:RE (Children Online: Research and Evidence), an
H2020 project funded by the European Commission.