[Air-L] Special Issue: The Lonely Nerd: Cultural representations of nerds around the world

Joyojeet Pal joyojeet at umich.edu
Tue Aug 9 10:09:52 PDT 2022

Please pardon my addition, one exception here is the nerd / geek in
cultures where that is looked on positively, work has shown how the geek is
shown as masculine, (marriageable!), responsible, and one whose voice
should be taken seriously in society in India. Ironically, one of the most
used professions on profile texts on Twitter in India of ultra-nationalists
is "engineer"

Anyways, here is an article on the gendered aspects of that.
Women as Software Engineers in Indian Tamil Cinema
<http://joyojeet.people.si.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/women_as_software_engineers_in_indian_tamil_cinema.pdf>