[Air-L] Data Justice Lab Fellowship: Democratizing the Datafied Society

Arne Hintz HintzA at cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 03:39:07 PST 2022

Fellowship Opportunity: Democratizing the Datafied Society

The Data Justice Lab is looking for fellows to collaborate with us on exploring how to democratize the datafied society. The fellowships can either be based at the Lab in Cardiff, UK, or be conducted online. We welcome proposals from both academics and practitioners, and we are particularly, but not exclusively, interested in applications from the Global South.

Your project proposals should relate to our current work in which we explore how affected communities address, influence, and resist the increasing roll-out of data systems, AI and automated decision-making in the governance of societies, and in which we investigate building-blocks for a more participatory and democratic form of data governance.

Fellows will work with us for 2-3 months (we will also consider applications for shorter or longer periods). The fellowship should take place between March and September 2023. You are welcome to propose an exact time (within this broader period) that you prefer.

To apply, please submit your CV and a letter of intent (800 words max) that clearly indicates your proposed project and outlines how it will address the theme of ‘Democratizing the Datafied Society’. Please email your application to datajusticelab at cardiff.ac.uk<mailto:datajusticelab at cardiff.ac.uk>

Deadline is 15 January 2023.

You can find the full call for proposals here: https://datajusticelab.org/2022/12/08/fellowship-opportunity-democratizing-the-datafied-society/

Dr Arne Hintz
Reader | Director of Postgraduate Research | Co-Director Data Justice Lab
School of Journalism, Media and Culture | Cardiff University
Two Central Square | Cardiff CF10 1FS | Wales, UK
Email: HintzA at cardiff.ac.uk | Tel: +44 (0)29 208 76281 | Twitter: @arne_hz