[Air-L] The Capitol Coup: One Year Later

Alice E. Marwick amarwick at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 06:17:01 PST 2022

Hi all,

Sorry for the late notice, but we are commemorating the 1 year anniversary
of the attempted coup on the US capitol with this event today and tomorrow.
All the scholars represented integrate a robust theory of digital politics
and social media into their work, so I think it's very AOIR-relevant,
especially if you're interested in the effects of tech on democracy/public
life.

Info:

Today the UNC Center for Information, Technology, and Public Life (CITAP)
and George Washington University’s Institute for Data, Democracy & Politics
(IDDP) <https://iddp.gwu.edu/> are hosting The Capitol Coup One Year Later:
How Research Can Assess and Counter Threats to Democracy
<https://citap.unc.edu/capitol-coup-one-year-later/>, a two-day conference
exploring key questions surrounding the attempted coup at the US
Capitol on January
6, 2021.

All of these events are now virtual :(

At 12pm there will be a keynote address from Emily Van Duyn
<https://www.emilyvanduyn.com/>, the author of the new book *Democracy
Lives in Darkness: How and Why People Keep their Politics Secret.
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/democracy-lives-in-darkness-9780197557013?cc=us&lang=en&>
*(OUP,
2021). Dr. Van Duyn is an assistant professor of communication at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Registration and details for 1/6 are here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-capitol-coup-one-year-later-keynote-address-livestreamed-from-gw-registration-211285820577

On January 7 we will have keynote addresses from Khadijah Costley White
<http://www.khadijahwhite.com/> and Francesca Tripodi
<https://ftripodi.com/>. Dr. Costley White is an associate professor in the
Rutgers School of Communication and the author of *The Branding of
Right-Wing Activism: The News Media and the Tea Party
<https://oxford.universitypressscholarship.com/view/10.1093/oso/9780190879310.001.0001/oso-9780190879310>
*(OUP,
2018)*. *Dr. Tripodi is an assistant professor in the UNC School of
Information and Library Science and a senior researcher at CITAP. Tripodi
is the author of the forthcoming book *The Propagandists’ Playbook: How
Conservative Elites Manipulate Search and Threaten Democracy *(Yale
University Press).

Registration and details for 1/7 are here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-capitol-coup-one-year-later-keynote-addresses-livestreamed-from-unc-tickets-219229470247

We hope that you can join us for these public events.

Thanks all!

Alice

Alice E. Marwick, PhD (she/her)
Associate Professor, Department of Communication
Principal Researcher, Center for Information, Technology and Public Life
(CITAP)
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
amarwick at gmail.com
http://www.tiara.org  <http://www.tiara.org>
http://citap.unc.edu  <http://citap.unc.edu>