[Air-L] ISOC Foundation 3rd Round Awardees

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Jan 13 03:46:22 PST 2022

https://www.isocfoundation.org/2022/01/third-round-of-grant-funding-awarded-to-researchers-studying-the-future-of-the-internet/

*The Internet Society Foundation is thrilled to award a third round of
grant funding through our **Research grant program*
<https://www.isocfoundation.org/grant-programme/research-grant-programme/>* to
six exciting projects that examine the future and sustainability of the
Internet.* Launched in 2020, this program supports a diverse group of
researchers around the world who are generating solutions today to meet the
Internet challenges of tomorrow.

The selected projects examine important issues around the Internet’s
relationship to society, such as: the role language plays in promoting
digital inclusion, the impact of data sharing practices on children’s
privacy, and more.

Through these grants, we look forward to enabling new research on the
future of the Internet, research that will influence policy and industry
decisions and ultimately help shape a more equitable and sustainable future
for the Internet and the people it serves.

Learn more about each awardee in the list below.
*Data & Society Research Institute – United States – $200,000*

*Theme: *A Trustworthy Internet

*Project Title:* Platform Mediation and the Verified Internet

*Research Questions: *What types of evidence are platforms requesting from
users as they verify their identities, their property, or their content?
How might this evidence unintentionally privilege or disadvantage certain
groups who are requesting verification?
*Jens Finkhaeuser – Germany – $100,000*

*Theme: *A Trustworthy Internet

*Project Title: *On the Far Side of REST: An Architecture for a Future
Internet

*Research Question:* How can we establish an alternative web-scale
architecture that embraces REST’s strengths, yet addresses its current
drawbacks around privacy and security?
*Joanna Kulesza and Berna Akcali Gur – Poland –  $192,000*

*Theme: *Decolonizing the Internet

*Project Title: *Global Governance of LEO Satellite Broadband

*Research Question: *What are the potential ‘data/digital sovereignty’ and
jurisdictional challenges to the integration of Low Earth Orbit (LEO)
satellite constellations onto the (5G) telecommunications network? How will
the current geopolitical and economic hegemony of developed states in
standard-setting for LEO broadband impact developing countries?
*ME2B Alliance Inc – United States – $100,171.46*

*Theme: *A Trustworthy Internet

*Project Title: *U.S Ed Tech Industry Benchmark: Data Sharing in Primary &
Secondary School Mobile Utility Apps

*Research Question: *How is mandated technology treating our most
vulnerable (young students)?
*Pollicy – Uganda – $199,421.25 *

*Theme: *Decolonizing the Internet

*Project Title: *Are we Together? The Role of Local Languages (and the Lack
of) for Digital Inclusion

*Research Questions: *How do the predominant languages that digital
platforms use impact the usability and accessibility of digital platforms
and content? What are the barriers for both users and content creators that
communicate in local languages?
*Uppsala University – Sweden –  $194,791.00*

*Theme: *Greening the Internet

*Project Title: *Developing the Internet Microscope

*Research Question: *How does the traffic volume and energy requirement of
Internet services support what people do in everyday life? Conversely, what
kinds of traffic are difficult to tie to any value or meaning, and thus
might be wasteful?

The *Research grant program* is open to independent researchers and
research institutions worldwide and is currently accepting statements of
interest, to be reviewed on a rolling basis. Research themes include:
Greening the Internet, The Internet Economy, Decolonizing the Internet, and
A Trustworthy Internet. Grants of up to US$200,000 will be awarded for
research lasting up to two years.
Research grant program details
<https://www.isocfoundation.org/grant-programme/research-grant-programme/>