[Air-L] WEBCAST NOW – Regulating the Internet Ten Years after the SOPA/PIPA Blackout

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Tue Jan 18 08:06:42 PST 2022

Yep, exactly 10 years since Internet Blackout Day!

REAL TIME TEXT https://bit.ly/3nDStJ0

[image: livestream]
<http://livestream.com/internetsociety/sopa-pipa10>On *Tuesday
18 January 2022* at *11:00-12:30 EST* (16:30-17:30 UTC) the *Institute for
Technology Law & Policy at Georgetown Law <https://georgetowntech.org/>* hosts
a webinar '*Regulating the Internet Ten Years after the SOPA/PIPA Blackout
<https://bit.ly/3zTrXA6>*'. Calls to regulate the internet more strictly
are now commonplace, but a new *report from Freedom House
<https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-net/2021/global-drive-control-big-tech>*
observes
both the promise and peril of internet regulation. The global drive to
control big tech thus carries a seeming contradiction: it can be an
expression of democracy but can also support authoritarianism. On the tenth
anniversary of the *blackout
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_SOPA_and_PIPA>* of
Wikipedia, Google, Reddit, and Mozilla in response to proposed internet
regulation in the U.S., we ask what we learned from the SOPA/PIPA debates,
take stock of where internet regulation stands today, and ask what internet
regulations carry the most promise or risk today.

*OPENING CONVERSATION*
*Jimmy Wales*, founder, Wikipedia

*PANEL*
*Rebecca MacKinnon*, Vice President, Global Advocacy, Wikimedia Foundation
*Allie Funk*, Senior research analyst for technology and democracy, Freedom
House
*Vivek Krishnamurthy*, Samuelson-Glushko Professor of Law, University of
Ottawa
*Konstantinos Komaitis*, Independent Internet Policy consultant / Policy
Fellow, Brave New Software Foundation

*HOST / MODERATOR*
*Anupam Chander*, Scott K. Ginsburg Professor of Law and Technology,
Georgetown Law

This event will be simulcast via a partnership with the *Internet Society
Washington DC Chapter <https://isoc-dc.org/>*

*LIVESTREAM http://livestream.com/internetsociety/sopa-pipa10
<http://livestream.com/internetsociety/sopa-pipa10>*

*PARTICIPATE VIA ZOOM https://bit.ly/3zTrXA6 <https://bit.ly/3zTrXA6>*