[Air-L] Julia Ticona's author interview for Left to Our Own Devices

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 06:00:00 PST 2022

Dear Colleagues,
I get very few chances to release an author interview when the book is
published.  Today
on the blog, I feature Julia Ticona on her newly released book, Left to Our
Own Devices: Coping with Insecure Work in a Digital Age.

https://campanthropology.org

Best,
Ilana

Press blurb: Over the past three decades, digital technologies like
smartphones and laptops have transformed the way we work in the US. At the
same time, workers at both ends of the income ladder have experienced
rising levels of job insecurity and anxiety about their economic futures.
In *Left to Our Own Devices*, Julia Ticona explores the ways that workers
use their digital technologies to navigate insecure and flexible labor
markets. Through 100 interviews with high and low-wage precarious workers
across the US, she explores the surprisingly similar "digital hustles" they
use to find work and maintain a sense of dignity and identity. Ticona then
reveals how the digital hustle ultimately reproduces inequalities between
workers at either end of polarized labor markets. A moving and accessible
look at the intimate consequences of contemporary capitalism, *Left to Our
Own Devices* will be of interest to sociologists, communication and media
studies scholars, as well as a general audience of readers interested in
digital technologies, inequality, and the future of work in the US.