[Air-L] Introducing the Discord Academic Research Community (D/ARC)

Rachel Berryman r.berryman at postgrad.curtin.edu.au
Mon Jan 31 16:02:54 PST 2022

Hello, Internet Researchers!

We would like to invite you to join the newly-formed Discord Academic Research Community (D/ARC) – a supportive network for anyone studying Discord communities, platforms, and cultures.

Our rapidly-growing community of 100+ scholars and researchers actively maintains a number of resources, including:

  *   A curated Zotero library of Discord literature and tools

  *   Notifications about relevant CFPs and new research

  *   A program of live workshops on new methods and tools, as well as regular research check-ins

Join the D/ARC Discord server (and share the invite link): https://darcmode.org/invite

We’re also excited to announce our first virtual workshop “Working with Networked Discord Data”, occurring on 4 February 2022, at 6pm EST. In this beginner-friendly, one-hour session, we will walk attendees through scraping and analyzing public Discord server data with **no coding required.**

Attendees will learn how to:

  *   Scrape large volumes of server metadata (for potentially thousands of Discord communities)

  *   Analyze trends and server activity using a range of analysis tools

  *   Visualize network data to explore broader trends and patterns

*Graduate students, independent and early-career scholars are especially welcome!*

To find out more and follow the D/ARC online, visit:

https://darcmode.org
https://twitter.com/darc_mode<http://www.twitter.com/darc_mode>

<3 The D/ARC Mods