[Air-L] CFP: Special Issue on Justice-Centered Design for Youth, International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction

Priya Kumar pkumar12 at umd.edu
Wed Mar 9 08:35:23 PST 2022

Hello, AoIR,

On behalf of my co-editors, Karla Badillo-Urquiola and Jason Yip, I invite
you to submit papers to a special issue that we are curating on
Justice-Centered Design for Youth for the International Journal of
Child-Computer Interaction. *Papers are due May 13*. Please feel free to
email me if you have any questions. Full CFP and timeline below:

CFP: Special Issue on Justice-Centered Design for Youth, International
Journal of Child-Computer Interaction

https://www.journals.elsevier.com/international-journal-of-child-computer-interaction/call-for-papers/special-issue-on-justice-centered-design-for-youth

There is no shortage of people who care about issues of diversity, equity,
inclusion, and ethics in the Child-Computer Interaction (CCI) community.
Researcher philosophies influence the commitments made in scholarly
efforts, which in turn influence a research project’s underlying
ethically-oriented tenets. From engaging diverse, marginalized populations,
to aiming to empower youth, to implementing child-centered approaches, to
designing intentionally equitable, inclusive artifacts, the CCI community
has made these commitments clear for almost two decades. Yet, we also know
there exists many opportunities for the community to learn and grow.

To consider such issues, researchers in our community have organized panels
and workshops that (1) address ethics and equity and inclusion in CCI
research more broadly and (2) target specific aspects of these issues
(e.g., how technologies affect the participation of marginalized youth;
designing technologies for children with special needs; including children
in the design process]). And while some of these—plus keynote speeches and
position papers—integrate social justice into their discussions around how
we might orient and conduct our research, there has yet to be a central
focus on *justice*. Building on and continuing past CCI research efforts,
this call for publications is an opportunity to bring together scholars
from a range of backgrounds and experiences who are all committed to doing
work with *youth that is justice-oriented.*

*Special issue information:*

What do we mean by justice-centered or justice-oriented? At Interaction
Design and Children 2021 we explored this concept through a workshop
focusing on three themes:

   - *What does it mean for us (within the CCI community) to be
   justice-centered?*
   - *Why should we be justice-centered with youth? What is at stake?*
   - *How can we in the CCI community be justice-centered?*

Through this work, we conceptualize justice as social, political, and
action-driven. It consists not only of critically understanding what is
fair or equitable but also intentionally, reflexively working to correct
what is inequitable, both within and beyond the research engagements
themselves, and spanning ecological system levels (i.e., individual, micro,
meso, exo, and macro). We draw from a range of existing literature on
justice (e.g., critical theories of learning, identity, and pedagogy,
critical race theory, intersectionality, critical pedagogy, Latinx critical
theory) to collectively consider how our actions might actively work
against the perpetuation of inequities.

In this call, we bring together an interdisciplinary team of scholars and
leaders working across research areas with youth. We all share a deep
commitment to learning, unlearning, and justice for youth. We welcome and
encourage researchers in this cross-disciplinary field to submit original
research articles reporting experiments, case studies, reviews, as well as
theoretical work investigating the role of justice for children. In
particular, review contributions are invited on (but not limited to) the
following topics:

   - Theories pertaining to justice-centered design
   - New methods and techniques for achieving justice-centered design
   - Groups of youth: infants, children, teens, young adults
   - Relationships between concepts equity, justice, empowerment, etc.
   - Justice-centered design within current youth technology trends
   - The intersection of justice-centered design and technology
   implementation for youth
   - Concerns and ethical issues about justice-centered design
   - Roles of identity (gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.)
   within justice-centered design for youth
   - Future trends of justice-centered design for youth

*Manuscript submission information:*

*Deadlines*:

   - Deadline for manuscript submissions: May 13, 2022
   - Notification to authors (first round): July 18, 2022
   - Deadline for revised manuscripts: September 16, 2022
   - Final notification to authors: October 14, 2022
   - Editorial acceptance deadline (camera-ready): October 26, 2022

*Peer Review Process:*

Each article will be reviewed by at least two external and independent
reviewers. The reviewers will have the necessary expertise to properly
assess the submission. Submissions will be assessed on their relevance to
the themes of the special issue and the overall potential to meaningfully
contribute to the special issue.

--
*Priya Kumar, PhD* (she/her <https://www.mypronouns.org/>)
University of Maryland | College of Information Studies (iSchool