[Air-L] Book Announcement: Social Engineering (MIT Press)

Robert W Gehl lists at robertwgehl.org
Fri Mar 11 07:53:53 PST 2022

On behalf of my co-author, Sean Lawson, I'm happy to announce that our
book Social Engineering: *How Crowdmasters, Phreaks, Hackers, and Trolls
Created a New Form of Manipulative Communication* is now available from
MIT Press. It's available as a paperback as well as open access -- see
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/social-engineering for more details.

AOIR has influenced my career tremendously, and I think this book
demonstrates how. The book starts with what we're all stressed about
right now -- disinformation, misinformation, conspiracy theories, and
manipulative communication in digital media. We then use critical
genealogical methods to help pick apart manipulative communication. We
turn to two moments in 20th century history -- early 20th century
propaganda and public relations, and mid-20th century phone phreak and
hacker con artistry -- to glean concepts. We ultimately argue that
today's digital media disinformation is a mix of mass and interpersonal
manipulation, what we call "masspersonal social engineering" (MPSE).

The book is, for better or worse, focused largely on American media and
hacker history. It's the context the two of us know best. That said,
we've observed elements of MPSE in the response to the pandemic,
Canadian truck convoy protests, and the disinformation campaigns
happening during the Russian invasion of the Ukraine, so I believe the
book's concepts can travel to other contexts.

Regards,

Rob
--
Robert W. Gehl (he/him/his)
F Jay Taylor Endowed Research Chair of Communication, Louisiana Tech

Sent from our OS on our Internet