[Air-L] CFP MEA 2022 - convention July 7-10 in Rio!
adrianabraga1 at yahoo.com.br
Sun Mar 13 14:32:26 PDT 2022
The Twenty-Thrird Annual Convention of the Media Ecology Association
Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (in person)
July 7-10, 2022
THE MEDIA ECOLOGY ASSOCIATION (MEA) invites the submission of abstracts of papers and proposals for panels for presentation at its 23rd Annual Convention, which will be held from July 7–10, 2022 at Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The deadline for submission has been extended to March 25, 2022. This will be the final extension for this call.
The annual meeting of the MEA provides an opportunity for our community of scholars, educators, professionals and practioners to exchange experiences and ideas in a friendly environment. Participants at MEA conventions address a wide diversity of topics in our programs, and we encourage submissions that explore media ecological approaches from any number of different disciplines and fields of knowledge and social practice. We are interested in papers, thematic panels, roundtable discussion panels, creative projects, performance sessions, and other proposals of interest to media ecologists.
While we are open to explorations on any topic of interest to media ecologists, we also include a convention theme with the aim of generating further discussion and probes involving multiple perspectives. Submissions do not have to address the theme, but are invited to do so.
The theme of the 2022 convention is Celebration. A long period of turmoil has seen social division, self-isolation and perpetual stress become our daily norm. Through the various conflicts and trials, it has been the strength of our relationships and associations that have sustained us. Resilience is more than an individual trait. It is the product of self-care and mutual concern. The so-called “good life” includes our ability to individually and collectively endure great challenges, while reminding ourselves that joy must not be inhibited by the obstacles in our way. We continue to celebrate our accomplishments and our associations as an affirmative enterprise in making and remaking this human condition. The annual Media Ecology Association Convention helps our community mark these important milestones, celebrating our hard work and our commitment to one another. This is true in any year, but in particular in these times it is vital to raise up this sensibility and center it as a cause in our 2022 proceedings.
General topics of interest related to the convention theme (but not limited to):
- Community Life
- Rituals of Celebration and Affirmation
- Technology as a Connecting Agent
- Art and the Expression of Joy
- Education and the Learning of Resilience
- Surviving the Maelstrom…and Thriving
- Positive Psychology and Media Ecology
- Science and Sanity: General Semantics
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION
Please submit paper and panel proposals, in English or Portuguese, by March 25, 2022 to MEA2022Convention at gmail.com. A maximum of two submissions per author will be accepted. Authors who wish their papers to be considered for the Top Paper or Top Student Paper award must indicate this on their submission(s).
Submission Guidelines for paper and panel proposals:
- Include title(s), abstract(s) (maximum 250 words), and contact information for each participant.
- Outline, as relevant, how your paper or panel will fit with the convention theme.
- Authors with papers submitted as part of a panel proposal or as a paper proposal who wish to be considered for Top Paper or Top Student Paper must send the completed manuscript to the convention planners by May 6, 2022.
Submission guidelines for manuscripts eligible for MEA award submissions:
- Manuscripts should be 4,000–6,000 words (approximately 15 to 25 double-spaced pages)
- Include a cover page with your institutional affiliation and other contact information.
- Include an abstract (maximum 150 words).
The Media Ecology Association will award a limited number of competitive travel grants to students presenting at the 2022 convention. Student travel grant applications are due by May 6, 2022.
More information about the Air-L