[Air-L] CFPs - First Annual Trust and Safety Research Conference at Stanford University

Daniel Bateyko dbateyko at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 29 13:19:26 PDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

This September, The Stanford Internet Observatory<https://cyber.fsi.stanford.edu/io/> and the Trust and Safety Foundation<https://trustandsafetyfoundation.org/> will host the first annual Trust and Safety Research Conference<https://cyber.fsi.stanford.edu/io/news/trust-safety-research-conference>. The conference will be among the first of its kind, gathering trust and safety professionals and academics in fields like computer science, sociology, law, and political science to learn from each other and discuss trust and safety issues.

Alongside the conference, the Journal of Online Trust and Safety<https://tsjournal.org/index.php/jots> will publish a conference proceeding with peer-reviewed work from attendees. Our first two issues have had considerable impact, with articles cited in senate testimony, Twitter policy announcements, and reporting by The Guardian and The Washington Post. For this next issue, we are inviting papers for peer-review, as well as informal letters and commentaries.

If you are interested in presenting or attending, please fill out our Application Form<https://stanforduniversity.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bQQdcw8763ofiOq> by May 31. We encourage applications from those in academia, industry, civil society, and government. Presenters need not submit a paper to the journal proceedings to participate. We also invite graduate students to apply to participate in a poster session, which will be accompanied by a happy hour for all attendees.

Authors interested in publishing in this issue can direct a letter of inquiry to trustandsafetyjournal at stanford.edu. Details on how to write the letter of inquiry are on the Journal’s submission page<https://tsjournal.org/index.php/jots/about/submissions>. Full paper submissions are due April 30, 2022. Accepted papers will be published one week before the conference, and authors will be invited to present at the conference.

The conference will be hosted on Stanford’s campus and will include many opportunities for informal networking. We hope you will join us in our effort to learn from each other and build towards a future in which technology lives up to the expectations of citizens.

About the Journal
The Journal of Online Trust and Safety<https://tsjournal.org/index.php/jots/index> is a no fee, fast peer-review, and open access journal.  Priority areas include research under the umbrella of Trust and Safety – we welcome papers on spam, fraud, encryption policy, harassment, hate speech, misinformation, and incitement. Our editorial team<https://cyber.fsi.stanford.edu/io/news/announcing-journal-online-trust-and-safety> includes top researchers from computer science, political science, and communications, and is headed by Shelby Grossman and Alex Stamos from the Stanford Internet Observatory and Professor Jeff Hancock from Stanford University’s Department of Communication.

Timeline
Paper submission deadline: April 30, 2022
Desk Decisions: May 3, 2022
Commentary submission deadline: August 1, 2022
Publication date: September 2022

Submission instructions
Letters of Inquiry should be submitted either on our website or by email to  trustandsafetyjournal at stanford.edu

Questions about the conference may be directed to Dan Bateyko, Managing Editor (dbateyko at stanford.edu).

Best,
Dan Bateyko

--
Dan Bateyko (he/him)
Special Projects Manager, Stanford Internet Observatory
dbateyko at stanford.edu