[Air-L] European Parliament panel on targeted advertising and disinformation on Monday 14 November

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 14:44:52 PST 2022

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I’m very excited to share with you that I’ve been invited to speak at the
European Parliament tomorrow about the threat of targeted advertising for
driving disinformation in elections.

The event will include a film screening and panel discussing: How can
political advertising change voting behaviour and steer the public debate?
The panel includes:

   - Peter Kreysler, investigative journalist and documentary filmmaker.
   - Dr. Emma Briant, Fellow at Bard College and researcher of contemporary
   propaganda, surveillance and information warfare who was involved in
   exposing the Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data scandal
   - Zoé Fourel, Researcher at the Institute for Strategic Dialogue.
   - Fernando Hortal Foronda, Digital Policy Officer at the European
   Partnership for Democracy.

It's unfortunately not being streamed, but the speakers and a debate
follow the screening of the documentary “Election campaign undercover” by
Gesine Enwaldt and Peter Kreysler, 2021 which I highly recommend you
watching as Peter managed to gain explosive undercover access to former
Cambridge Analytica and Brexit campaign firms still operating unethically
today worldwide (it’s German but there is translation):

“Election campaign undercover <https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C5C58DfI4kI>”
- it would be great to play for students in class...

The main audience for the panel will be policy-makers, all relevant MEPs
and the Council of the EU's representatives working on the file "Proposal
for a regulation for the transparency and targeting of political
advertisement". You can look at the draft proposal I’ll be commenting on
here
<https://emma-briant.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e7f9f1379bf0f0311ebba75d7&id=da8d263831&e=ba76ce6920>
.

I will be pressing for a ban on targeted advertising, proper regulation of
influence firms and making it clear how inadequate these proposals are as
well as addressing some common myths the Big Tech lobbyists have sought to
spread, and pressing for stronger restrictions. As it's not being streamed
I will try and do a follow up post on Patreon
<https://emma-briant.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e7f9f1379bf0f0311ebba75d7&id=cb53eee205&e=ba76ce6920>
as
soon as I can after the event giving a report and brief reflection of the
arguments.

If you want to share, I’ve tweeted details here
<https://twitter.com/EmmaLBriant/status/1591334163235295232?s=20&t=FnxRGHpmAh_Ywq35qQ9RzQ>
.

Emma

--
Dr Emma L Briant

Owner: Maven of Persuasion LLC
Fellow at Central European University's Center for Media, Data and Society
Associate at University of Cambridge, Center for Financial Reporting &
Accountability
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/emmalbriant
Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk

Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.
Sign up for my Newsletter
<http://emma-briant.co.uk/sign-up-for-important-updates/>!
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant

"I thought yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life but it turns
out today is." - Steve Martin