[Air-L] 2 new articles on digital social movements

Jared M. Wright jaredmatthewwright at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 02:31:41 PST 2022

Hello friends,

I've never shared a paper here before, but as an early career sociologists,
I'd like to share two articles about social movements I recently published
which I think may be of interest to some people.

First is an article in *Social Movement Studies* examining how political
opportunities and threats are perceived and interpreted by activists in the
digital environment of data. This was intended to be part of a special
issue on "Contentious Data Politics". You can read a short summary my blog
<https://jaredmwr.wordpress.com/2022/10/01/new-article-the-future-of-the-internet-hangs-in-the-balance/>
or see a preprint on ResearchGate
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/363699731_The_future_of_the_internet_hangs_in_the_balance_the_perception_and_framing_of_political_opportunity_and_threat_in_the_contentious_politics_of_data>
:

   - "The Future of the Internet Hangs in the Balance": The Perception and
   Framing of Political Opportunity and Threat in the Contentious Politics of
   Data <https://doi.org/10.1080/14742837.2022.2123313>

Second is an article in *Contention* which, illustrated by a network
analysis of tweets from our selected case, theorizes how a form of
solidarity may manifest in fleeting, unilateral moments between two groups
of activists, and its implications both good and bad. You can also read
more about it on my blog
<https://jaredmwr.wordpress.com/2022/11/19/new-journal-article-drive-by-solidarity/>
or find a preprint here
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/365387722_Drive-By_Solidarity_Conceptualizing_the_Temporal_Relationship_between_BlackLivesMatter_and_Anonymous's_OpKKK>
:

   - Drive-By Solidarity: Conceptualizing the Temporal Relationship between
   #BlackLivesMatter and Anonymous's #OpKKK
   <https://doi.org/10.3167/cont.2022.100203>

I hope you enjoy my (and my colleagues') work. Feel free to contact me if
you'd like to learn more, provide feedback, talk about new ideas, or just
chat. Thanks!

P.S. I'm very grateful for this community. I've been following for a few
years and I've discovered so much through all of you. I know some have
migrated to Mastodon already, but I hope this email list will stay alive
too.

Best,
Jared

--
*Jared M. Wright, PhD*

Assistant Professor

Faculty of Arts and Sciences

TED University, Ankara, Turkey

Director, The Center for Digital Social Science
<https://www.thecenterfordigitalsocialscience.org/>

Personal Website <https://bio.site/jaredmwright>