[Air-L] Migration to Mastodon

Robert W Gehl lists at robertwgehl.org
Sun Nov 6 01:56:26 PST 2022

Hi, Emma --

I looked at the threads on the fediverse. I think the argument I'll put
forward here doesn't repeat some of the ones you've already received.

In my experience, being on a Mastodon instance has made visible to me
queer, trans, BIPOC, and radical artists and writers -- many of whom are
on the fedi because they do not feel safe on corporate social media. I
now support a bunch and have interacted with them. While these are not
junior academics or reporters just starting out (a population not as
present on the fediverse -- yet), I think that case is somewhat analogous.

The mechanism for my seeing these artists and engaging with them has
been through the timelines, not through bios. The flow is like this:

An artist's post might get boosted into my timeline; I see it and think
it's brilliant; I click on their username; THEN I read the bio and
follow; conversation commences.

So I'd recommend that, instead of the follower bio approach, what the
fediverse emphasizes is the conversational approach. I follow based on
intriguing posts, not after a quick look at the bio.

So advice I would have for journalists is to rethink things. I'm sure
journalists and others can do it -- after all, we're 10 years into the
"How Twitter Will Change Journalism" phase of Journalism Studies
publications. Perhaps in 10 years will be into "Journalists on the
#fediverse" phase.

- Rob