[Air-L] Migration to Mastodon

Michael Ruigrok ruigrok.michael at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 04:58:41 PST 2022

Be warned, these are the thoughts of a long-time Mastodon user,

Regarding Mastodon as an alternative, I think it would be a unique
opportunity if the academic community were to become involved in the
direction of the platform. As an open and community-driven technology,
Mastodon can improve directly from the input of its community. Points like
Emma's can have actual weight in shaping the possibilities of the platform,
especially considering that the platform's end goals correspond closely
with supporting vibrant, inclusive communities. I think it's critical that
these possible issues and improvements are discussed, both within this
community, and between us and the Mastodon community at large. Open-source
projects like Mastodon do have limited resources, so individual wishes can
be difficult to meet, and progress can be slow, but wider discussion and
support does have impact.

This openness applies equally to shaping the platform to support
opportunities for research. Given that the network of Mastodon is
predominantly run by people dedicating their personal time and money to the
mission of an ethical, open social technology, it's likely that they are
more than happy to collaborate closely with our goals. While the
decentralisation of Mastodon certainly presents a challenge for data
collection, sharing the load of infrastructure may provide an environment
where open data becomes a more sustainable, albeit smaller scale affair.

On a more idiosyncratic, but equally idealistic note, I'm fascinated at the
possibility of leveraging the platform for more direct HCI research. Since
Mastodon is part of a decentralised ecosystem, it would be possible to
create a Mastodon server integrated with the existing social network,
change one or a set of features, and get concrete metrics to how specific
changes influence behaviour in a real-world, yet controlled environment.
It's something I'd be interested in testing the feasibility of.

I do have some more specific thoughts on democratic discoverability on
Mastodon, but I think I'll save them for that Mastodon thread. I'd also be
keen to add anything relevant from these discussions on the Github feature
request thread: https://github.com/mastodon/mastodon/issues/14918.

Thank you for the compelling perspectives!

Michael