[Air-L] Migration to Mastodon

Steph Kent stephaniejo.kent at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 07:18:06 PST 2022

Hi all,

Following the Twitter|Mastodon threads with critical interest. I appreciate
the invitation from Michael Ruigrok to  members of this group to bring your
sophisticated knowledge and experience to the improvement of federated,
communal social networks. I'm always interested in access, thinking about
outlier groups such as the Deaf, for whom text is frequently not a
sufficient accommodation (despite the convenience of this belief for
h/Hearing people). *That said, Deaf academics on Twitter are formidable!

I'm glad of the resources from Meryl, Joly and Fred Fuchs too, as I'm at
the edge of my learning curve learning how to navigate Mastodon.

Wanted to share this political, antiracist perspective from Tim Wise, who
argues that it's mainly white liberals who are concerned with 'fleeing' the
new Twitter
<https://timjwise.medium.com/fleeing-twitter-the-twexodus-is-about-white-liberal-fragility-3631cb2ac317>,
suggesting this is evidence of the pervasiveness of white fragility -- even
among progressives.

best regards,
steph