[Air-L] Migration to Mastodon

Richard Forno rick at rickf.org
Thu Nov 10 04:54:53 PST 2022

I agree that being active on a bunch of platforms is great, sure -- especially if you want to reach as many folks as possible.  But the flipside is the recurring opportunity/sunken costs of time and labor it usually takes to setup, monitor, manage presences and cross-post things ten ways to next Wednesday plus then monitor/manage that setup AND interact meaningfully with people across all platforms. Ergo I suspect most folks[1] will pick 1-2 platforms (eg, Twitter+Insta, Mastodon+LinkedIn, just Twitter or Mastodon, etc) and stick with that setup to provide a "good enough" reach for them and their message[2], especially if their choice of platform(s) aligns, hopefully comfortably, with their interests and moreso, their expectations on content moderation and community standards.  --- rick

From what I've seen, for the most part, the Mastodon community of federated servers and admins have done a decent job handling the influx. Hopefully it can continue to scale effectively if/as needed.

[1] other than social media researchers, where this is their job and an expected occupational hazard.  :)

[2] At least until they get an entourage of PR staff to help them.