[Air-L] Migration to Mastodon

Sarah Ann Oates soates at umd.edu
Thu Nov 10 06:57:54 PST 2022

I am loving this thread and wonder if it will turn up in a dissertation
somewhere LOL. But more seriously I want to throw an existential log onto
the fire here. Or maybe a little gasoline ...

Twitter (and other social media platforms) mine their users as the product.
So we know we are being exploited -- it's the whole business model. If we
chose to use a commercial platform, we are "willing slaves." A lot of
people have written about this eloquently and well (including many people
on this thread).

So it's like smoking I guess -- if I choose to smoke, I accept that there
is a 50% chance I will die of a tobacco-related disease. I make this choice
openly. I think if I choose to use Twitter (and I still do, albeit I'm like
one of those smokers who only smokes when drinking ... and keeps trying to
vie up) then I accept I have chosen to do something that is toxic for
society.

Wow, pretty dark and I'd love to be talked out of this attitude. I know
that social media, unlike smoking, does bring good to society in the form
of lifting up voices in #BlackLivesMatter and #MeToo. But I grow more and
more uncomfortable with being a part of the problem by being a 'product'
for Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, etc.

Sarah

Sarah Oates
Pronoun: she/her