[Air-L] About social media data availability

Sam Srauy srauy at oakland.edu
Thu Nov 17 17:41:58 PST 2022

Hi Xanat,

I think you’re right to be concerned about the reviewer’s demand. I would also not feel right about sharing the data. Even if we assume that the data cannot be used to trace back to the group or posters, (which is a very big assumption,) the deal you made with the admins and the group members is that you would only use the data for this study. I think you would be quite right to decline and state you don’t have expressed permission from your participants or your institution to make the data publicly available.

Would the editor be someone who could intervene?

Best,
Sam

____
Sam Srauy, PhD
Associate Professor
Digital Media and Production Coordinator
Oakland University
Department of Communication, Journalism, and Public Relations

Oakland University resides on the ancestral, traditional, and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabe, known as the Three Fires Confederacy, comprised of the Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi. The land was ceded in the 1807 Treaty of Detroit and makes up southeast Michigan.
In recognizing the history and respecting the sovereignty of Michigan’s Indian Nations, Oakland University honors the heritage of Indigenous communities and their significant role in shaping the course of this region. Further, we recognize the wrongs done to those forcibly removed from their Homelands and commit to fostering an environment of inclusion that is responsive to the needs of First Peoples through our words, policies, and actions.
The preservation and perpetuation of customs and traditions of Indigenous nations are essential to our shared cultural heritage. A deep understanding of Native peoples’ past and present informs the teaching, research, and community engagement of the university in its ongoing effort to elevate the dignity of all people and serve as shared stewards of the land.