[Air-L] Reminder: Job Search: Associate / Full Professor of Race, Media and Comm

Burcu Baykurt burcu.baykurt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 07:14:49 PDT 2022

*Hi colleagues! I’m excited to share this job ad for Associate/Full
Professor of Race, Media and Communication in the Department of
Communication at UMass Amherst. Please see below and drop me a line if you
have any questions about our department! *

The Department of Communication at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
seeks to build on our 50-year tradition of critical and community-engaged
media and communication research with this hire in the area of race, media,
and communication studies. We are looking for an Associate / Full Professor
with a record of intellectual leadership and engaged scholarship examining
the politics of race in media and communication, communication and racial
justice, and/or race and representation in popular culture. We seek a
colleague who can advance our department's mission to center issues of
racial justice in communication research, collaborate with our diverse and
international faculty and students, and extend our core strengths in
critical cultural studies and media and communication studies. The
Department of Communication is one of the most internationally diverse
faculty in the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences.

Of particular interest are candidates who draw from critical bodies of
theory and epistemologies of Black, Latino/a/x, Asian, Indigenous, and
Ethnic Studies when studying media, communication, and racial politics in
the United States. We also welcome candidates who draw from intersectional
perspectives of feminist, queer, and postcolonial theory and those who
study racial politics in transnational perspective. We are open to diverse
methodological approaches and community engaged scholarship.

Particular areas of expertise may include (but are not limited to) the
following:
· Race and representation in film, television, and social media
· Systemic racism in media, creative, and tech industries
· Racial equity and critical data studies
· Racial justice narratives, digital activism, and strategic communication
of social movements
· Black digital cultures, creativity, and media-making
· Queer and transgender politics of race
· Race and Blackness in performance studies
· Race and racial discrimination in health communication
· Mediated solidarities, joy, and conflicts between/among communities of
color
· Racially targeted disinformation, hate, and digital harms
· Race and mediated communication in geopolitics
· Postcolonial and decolonial studies, and transnational and diasporic media
· Critical approaches to diversity, equity, and inclusion in media and
communication studies

Requirements
The candidate is expected to have a PhD in Communication or related fields.

This is a mid-career or senior-level position, and the candidate will be
reviewed for tenure during their first year of appointment. They are
expected to have at least 5 years experience in a tenure-track
professorship post in Communication or related fields, with a record of
excellence in research, teaching, and outreach. A successful record of
leadership in grant-funded projects is desirable.

Additional information
The position will begin on Sept. 1, 2023.

Applicant instructions
Candidates should submit the following materials:
1. Cover letter addressed to Dr. Jonathan Corpus Ong, Chair of the Search
Committee,
Department of Communication, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
2. CV.
3. Three writing samples.
4. Evidence of teaching effectiveness.
5. Names and contact information of three academic references.

Shortlisted candidates will be invited to write a tailor-fit statement
about their experiences with and expectations from university diversity and
inclusion initiatives and submit this to the Chair prior to the campus
visit.

Shortlisted candidates will also be asked to provide materials that
demonstrate the candidate's eligibility and qualifications to show they
meet the criteria and the standards for tenure at the University of
Massachusetts Amherst.
https://www.umass.edu/provost/resources/all-resources/academic-personnel/policy-and-labor-contracts/academic-personnel-policy-red

Review of applications will begin October 20, 2022, and will continue until
the position is filled. For inquiries about the post and the application
process, contact Search Committee Chair Dr. Jonathan Corpus Ong at
jcong at umass.edu.