[Air-L] Pentagon PSYOP Review and Interviews...

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 16:10:17 PDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

In spite of efforts to silence it, I'm glad to share news of my research
making an impact this month. For my doctorate researched military
adaptation of Information Operations to digital age challenges. Now, 5
years after my article examined
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0896920517750741> internal
Pentagon debates over the nature of policy changes made to enable internet
age propaganda tactics... Facebook and Twitter have finally taken down the
US military's PSYOP which they now acknowledge broke their platforms'
rules. Some of the posts have been released and examined in a report
<https://stacks.stanford.edu/file/druid:nj914nx9540/unheard-voice-tt.pdf>by
Graphika and Stanford. And my prior article
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0896920517750741> into the
policies and changes in tactics that enabled these campaigns has been
covered in the Washington Post
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/09/20/military-pentagon-fake-social-media/>
and
the Pentagon's tactics are finally under review. It's time for a
much-needed public debate.

No-one said being a propaganda scholar would be easy, but I never imagined
when I graduated from my PhD, that one day I would be getting profiled by
the esteemed free expression organization Index on Censorship. There needs
to be more support and understanding of the unique
<https://twitter.com/EmmaLBriant/status/1578088810667180044?s=20&t=QXuXh_-9RHdGwPU0gzxnSg>
threats
and challenges faced by scholars if we want to enable them to produce work
that makes an impact. And I am not alone
<https://twitter.com/EmmaLBriant/status/1578088810667180044?s=20&t=QXuXh_-9RHdGwPU0gzxnSg>.
I am grateful to have supportive allies and I hope you will find the Index
interview interesting: The woman exposing the propaganda puppet masters
<https://www.indexoncensorship.org/2022/09/the-woman-exposing-the-propaganda-puppet-masters/>
.

I am also happy to share new episodes of my YouTube show 'Afternoon Tea and
Truth Biscuits' where I talk about Cold War black propaganda campaigns with
Prof. Rory Cormac <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRmiaSIpos> (University
of Nottingham) and discuss Diasporas as Cyberwarriors with Dr. Dmitry
Chernobrov <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrt61cmiheo> (University of
Sheffield). I hope to see you in the audience for the Next show too on
<https://twitter.com/EmmaLBriant/status/1577386839471640576?s=20&t=QXuXh_-9RHdGwPU0gzxnSg>
18th
October with Dr. Rizwaan Sabir talking about his book 'The Suspect'
<https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/lsereviewofbooks/2022/04/26/book-review-the-suspect-counterterrorism-islam-and-the-security-state-by-rizwaan-sabir/>,
which draws on both his research into Islamophobia and his experience of
being wrongly accused after obtaining an Al-Qaeda publication required for
his studies of Counter-terrorism. Watch and share here.
<https://twitter.com/EmmaLBriant/status/1577386839471640576?s=20&t=QXuXh_-9RHdGwPU0gzxnSg>

Thank you all as always for your continued support for my work.

Best wishes,
Emma

--
Dr Emma L Briant

Owner: Maven of Persuasion LLC
Fellow at Central European University's Center for Media, Data and Society
Associate at University of Cambridge, Center for Financial Reporting &
Accountability
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/emmalbriant
Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk

Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.
Sign up for my Newsletter
<http://emma-briant.co.uk/sign-up-for-important-updates/>!
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant

"I thought yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life but it turns
out today is." - Steve Martin