[Air-L] Call for Submissions: Unpacking Deceptive Design Blog | The Pranava Institute

Titiksha Vashist titikshavashist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 09:54:51 PDT 2022

Dear AoiR friends and colleagues,

Hope this email finds you well.

The Pranava Institute <https://pranavainstitute.com/> is inviting
contributions for its new blog on Unpacking Deceptive Design, which is part
of The Ethical UI/UX design manual project
<https://www.design.pranavainstitute.com/> funded by the University of
Notre Dame and IBM’s Tech Ethics Lab.

Deceptive design or ‘dark patterns’ are manipulative or deceptive practices
built into user interfaces by developers that have the effect,
intentionally or unintentionally, of obscuring, subverting, or impairing
consumer autonomy, decision-making, or choice. They are often carefully
designed to alter decision-making by users or trick users into actions they
did not intend to take. These deceptive design practices are built into
user interfaces across multiple online experiences today. Shopping and
eCommerce platforms nudge and manipulate users to share more data and buy
products, social media uses deceptive design to increase user engagement to
unhealthy levels, and financial apps use deceptive design to trick users
into signing up for products that could be harmful.

The 'Unpacking Deceptive Design Blog' is a collaborative space for
researchers and interested individuals to contribute from diverse
disciplinary perspectives and fill knowledge and awareness gaps on the
issue. The blog invites contributions reflecting on deceptive design
practices as it intersects with competition in digital markets, data
protection and privacy, consumer protection online, financial security,
human rights, and social security across jurisdictions. We actively
encourage contributions focussing on exploring deceptive design from
non-western epistemologies, deceptive designs in non-western countries, and
the impact on first-generation internet users.

We are also happy to announce that contributions will be paid thanks to the
support of the University of Notre Dame-IBM's Tech Ethics Lab. A standard
honorarium of $200 will be offered to authors.
How to contribute to the Unpacking Deceptive Design BlogWhat we publish

   -

   We invite contributions engaging various forms of impacts of deceptive
   design on society, including impact on users, data and privacy,
   competition, information online, consumer rights, vulnerable populations,
   digital markets, etc.
   -

   In particular, we appreciate articles exploring a specific dimension of
   such design choices or proposing how such practices can be countered.

The blog should:

   -

   explicitly reflect on one or more aspects of deceptive design like
   impact on competition in e-commerce, impact on users and data, impact on
   youth online, etc.
   -

   explore alternatives to current practices either in design practice, or
   propose policy solutions, regulatory direction, consensus building,
   awareness, etc
   -

   be between 1,200 and 2000 words, blog style accessible to a wider
   audience. Longer posts might be published as a series of “episodes” linked
   to each other.

How to participate

   -

   Please email a 200-300 word abstract that outlines the topic, scope, and
   approach of your blog with references to designblog at pranavainstitute.com by
   17th October along with a 100-word bio. We accept submissions on a
   rolling basis.

Suggested topics for submission

   -

   How deceptive design intersects with currently existing approaches such
   as consumer protection, online safety, competition in markets, etc.
   -

   Analyzing the impact of deceptive design on digital markets and specific
   sectors (e-commerce, social media, education, etc.)
   -

   Formulating and implementing design guidelines and standards
   -

   Emerging approaches and tools to tackle Deceptive Design Practices
   -

   Evaluating Design Impact Assessment approaches
   -

   Strategy and roadmap to include all stakeholders to tackle deceptive
   design
   -

   Deceptive design and the non-English internet
   -

   Impact of deceptive design practices on first-generation internet users
   in non-Western countries.
   -

   Examining Deceptive Design practices from non-western epistemologies

Submissions on the above-stated issues and/or aligned with these themes are
welcome. We are also open to contributions exploring other relevant issues
around deceptive design practices. In case of any queries, please reach out
to titiksha at pranavainstitute.com.

Help us spread the word!

Best,
*Titiksha Vashist *