[Air-L] Is Digital Education sustainable? October 19th, 7pm GMT

Mark Carrigan mark at markcarrigan.net
Sun Oct 9 00:55:44 PDT 2022

*Is Digital Education sustainable? October 19th, 7pm GMT*

Digital technology is often presented as a solution to social and
educational problems. It is imagined that if we find the right technology
and deploy it in effective ways then previously intractable challenges
might soon become a thing of the past. But what if digital education is
part of the problem? To the extent it rests upon a continued proliferation
of digital devices, ever expanding use of digital data and the embedding of
‘always on’ hyperconnectivity there are serious issues to be raised about
the sustainability of digital education.

Far from providing a route towards a fairer future the field risks
exacerbating climate breakdown. Is it possible to reorientate digital
education towards a more sustainable future or are these problems inherent
in the digitalisation of education itself? Should we be trying to develop
more sustainable forms of individual practice or are these distractions
from political questions which need to be addressed collectively? In the
first DTCE Digital Dialogue <http://www.dtcemanchester.org/>we are joined
by Susan Brown <https://www.twitter.com/blendingtolearn/>, Jana Bacevic
<https://janabacevic.net/> and Neil Selwyn
<https://research.monash.edu/en/persons/neil-selwyn> to explore whether a
more sustainable digital education is possible and how we might work
towards it.

*Register here*: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_CSqLaSlyQIq2eFc3xii_ow

Dr. Mark Carrigan FRSA | Lecturer in Education | Programme Director for DTCE
<https://www.dtcemanchester.org/>
markcarrigan.net | @drmarkcarrigan <http://www.twitter.com/drmarkcarrigan/>
| postpandemicuniversity.net

*I occasionally send e-mail outside of normal hours as my preferred way of
balancing multiple commitments. Please don't feel obligated to respond to
this e-mail until your own working hours have resumed. *