[Air-L] CfP CSCW2022 Workshop - Ethical Tensions, Norms, and Directions in the Extraction of Online Volunteer Work

Sohyeon Hwang sohyeonhwang at u.northwestern.edu
Wed Sep 7 11:36:43 PDT 2022

Hello!

I am sharing a CfP that I think will be of interest to this research
community :) Apologies if you run into this cross-posted elsewhere.

We are sharing a CfP for a workshop: "Ethical Tensions, Norms, and
> Directions in the Extraction of Online Volunteer Work", to be held Nov 13
> during CSCW 2022 (virtual this year).
>
> This one-day workshop, broken up into two sessions to accommodate
> international participation, will convene to reflect on and interrogate the
> relationship between online volunteer work and the industries that rely on
> and profit from them. Online volunteer work such as moderating forums and
> participating in open source projects not only underpins today’s digital
> infrastructures, but also helps companies generate immense profits.
> However, there remains a lack of ethical norms around using volunteer labor
> for corporate interests, opening opportunities for unchecked extraction of
> online volunteer work at scale. Through a series of talks, a panel, and
> small group discussions, this workshop makes a call for increased attention
> to ethical issues in the extraction of online volunteer work.
>
> We invite individuals interested in presenting their work to submit a 2-4
> page extended abstract by Sept 21, 2022 to:
> https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=eeovw22
>
> Accepted abstracts will be guaranteed a presentation slot. For individuals
> interested in attending without presenting, we will later have an
> application form (capped at 50 people) on our website so stay tuned!

-- sohyeon hwang
www.sohyeonhwang.com
Community Data Science Collective <https://communitydata.science/>
Media, Technology, and Society