[Air-L] HCR Special Issue CFP: Rethinking and Expanding Communication Theories on HCR’s 50th Anniversary

Yariv Tsfati ytsfati at com.haifa.ac.il
Sun Sep 18 11:20:43 PDT 2022

https://academic.oup.com/hcr/pages/cfp-50th-anniversary
Call for Papers: Special Issue of Human Communication ResearchRethinking
and Expanding Communication Theories on HCR’s 50th AnniversaryGuest Editors:

Mary Beth Oliver (Pennsylvania State University)
Tamara Afifi (University of California, Santa Barbara)
Homero Gil de Zuñiga (University of Salamanca/Pennsylvania State University)
Deadline for submitting abstracts: November 15, 2022
*Human Communication Research* (HCR) historically has been, and remains
today, an important outlet for projects that develop, advance, and critique
communication theory using social science methods (broadly defined). The
purpose of this special issue is to highlight and celebrate that key part
of HCR's mission (i.e., innovative theory development) on its 50th birthday
both by taking stock and looking forward.

As our field matures into a central discipline of academic scholarship,
this special issue will not only highlight our theoretical contributions,
but also gather the collective wisdom of scholars who are grappling with
theory development and expansion. We live in tumultuous times that involve
rapid technological changes, transformations in political discourse,
evolutions in how we communicate interpersonally, and a greater
appreciation of the importance of diversity and inclusion. As a result, the
variables that we once found important may play different roles in our
contemporary society, our models may need revision, new concepts await our
exploration, and novel ways of understanding and explaining communication
phenomena deserve our careful consideration.

Authors are invited to submit proposals for papers that advance our
theoretical understanding of communication. Rather than provide literature
reviews, these proposals should focus on theory development that will offer
a roadmap for scholars to enhance our understanding of communication in
ways that are both cognizant of our changing communication landscapes and
that are inclusive with regard to issues relevant to our global and diverse
societies. We encourage theory papers focused on a variety of issues (e.g.,
media, health, interpersonal, political, intergroup, organizational,
technology, critical cultural), and we welcome theoretical papers that may
focus on methodological developments that have theoretical implications for
advancing our field. Although the journal typically concentrates on
empirical work, in this issue we are particularly interested in theoretical
innovation. To learn more about the journal and its focus, visit the About
page <https://academic.oup.com/hcr/pages/About>.Submission InstructionsAuthors
should submit an extended abstract to the guest editors (Tamara Afifi,
 Mary Beth Oliver, and Homero Gil de Zuñiga) no later than November 15,
2022. Extended abstracts should consist of no more than 1,000 words
(excluding references).

Abstracts may be uploaded here
<https://pennstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cXZlbCAzgBNo9AG>.

The author(s) should clearly elaborate the focus, outline, and contribution
of the proposed essay and how it contributes to theoretical innovation.
Selection of abstracts will be made by the guest editors. Authors invited
to proceed will be given four months to submit a complete paper via Scholar
One, which will undergo peer review. Page limits for the complete paper
will be allocated at the time of invitation.  Publication Timeline
Date
11/15/2022 Deadline for abstract submission
12/15/2022 Notification to authors (i.e., in terms of who will be invited
to submit full manuscripts)
4/15/2023 Deadline for full manuscript submission (for those authors whose
abstract is accepted)
7/01/2023 Deadline for sending reviewer feedback/final decision to authors
9/01/2023 Deadline for revised/final manuscript submission by authors
10/15/2023 Final copy of special issue sent to OUP
1/5/2024 Special issue published online (vol. 50, issue #1)