[Air-L] Job Opening: Asst Prof (other ranks considered) in Media and Democracy at University of Maryland

Sarah Ann Oates soates at umd.edu
Thu Sep 22 18:18:54 PDT 2022

Hi, I think this opening could be relevant to many in AoIR. Sarah

Assistant Professor/Media and Democracy (other ranks considered)

Tenure-Track/Tenured

Philip Merrill College of Journalism

University of Maryland (College Park)

We are seeking a scholar (assistant professor preferred, although other
ranks considered) who works in the area of media and democracy. While we
are open to a range of disciplines and approaches, the successful candidate
should demonstrate a research and teaching interest in journalism.

Research interests include but are not limited to:

· Political communication

· Rule of law/threats to democracy

· Comparative or international media studies

· Misinformation, disinformation and propaganda

· Gender and sexual minorities

· Race and ethnicity

· Audience engagement and participation

· Privacy

· Social media

· Business models/ethics for the future of journalism

· Threats to the future of local journalism

· Algorithmic bias and journalism

· Artificial intelligence, democracy and journalism

Candidates should have a Ph.D. in journalism, media studies, political
science, history or a relevant field in the social sciences by August 2023,
but ABD candidates will be considered.

We have a preference for a candidate with skills in data science. Research
methods and/or teaching data science approaches could include statistical
analysis, natural language processing, automated content analysis, data
extraction, and/or coding.

For best consideration, apply by October 21, 2022. Full job ad here:
https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/100049

Sarah Oates
Pronoun: she/her

Professor and Senior Scholar