[Air-L] NEW ARTICLE on AI, Surveillance, Gamified War and the Discord Leaker

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 10:18:07 PDT 2023

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I am just writing to share my latest article with you, now out on SpyTalk 'The
Air Force Loves War Gamers Like Teixeira: The Discord leaks reveal a
digital culture problem that more AI surveillance can’t solve
<https://www.spytalk.co/p/the-air-force-loves-war-gamers-like>.’

It looks at the problems with AI insider threat firms like Palantir, as a
response to leakers and why the military is recruiting people just like
Teixeira… and encouraging them all to bond on Discord where extremists hang
out.

The piece gives a deep dive on the US military's effort to create an
attractive war game culture to pull in young future cyber warriors.

I also gave this talk on Contemporary Propaganda and Digital Mercenaries
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmB5wtdD9i8> this week for Kyiv School of
Economics. There is an intro in Ukrainian before the lecture in English.

And I also was interviewed about Russian influence operations, new
technologies and Western responses to the Silicon Curtain podcast
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8O__A37KGo> recently…

I hope you find the article an interesting and illuminating read and have a
chance to view the talks! You can share the article here on Twitter
<https://twitter.com/EmmaLBriant/status/1647486104382078976?s=20>or
Mastodon  <https://mastodon.online/@emmalbriant/110206990100353022>or
LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/posts/emmalbriant_the-air-force-loves-war-gamers-like-teixeira-activity-7053175619106267136-J5kf?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop>
.

Best wishes,

Emma

--
Dr Emma L Briant

Owner: Maven of Persuasion LLC
Incoming: Associate Professor at Monash University
Fellow at Bard College, Human Rights Project
Associate at University of Cambridge, Center for Financial Reporting &
Accountability
Speaking agent: Chartwell Speakers
<https://www.chartwellspeakers.com/speaker/emma-briant/>
Book agent: Inkwell Management <https://inkwellmanagement.com/>
Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.

Support my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/emmalbriant
Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk
Sign up for my Newsletter
<http://emma-briant.co.uk/sign-up-for-important-updates/>!
Follow me on Mastodon @emmalbriant at mastodon.online
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant

"I thought yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life but it turns
out today is." - Steve Martin
“Women are like teabags . We don’t know our true strength until we are in
hot water.” - Unknown