[Air-L] New Book: Misinformation Matters - Online Content and Quality Analysis (by Uyiosa Omoregie and Kirsti Ryall).

Uyiosa Omoregie uyiosa.omoregie at avramturing.com
Tue Apr 18 16:53:57 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

Our new book is released today (19 April 2023) by Taylor & Francis
publishers.
Title:* Misinformation Matters - Online Content and Quality Analysis *(by
Uyiosa Omoregie and Kirsti Ryall).

Website link: Misinformation Matters Routledge
<https://www.routledge.com/Misinformation-Matters-Online-Content-and-Quality-Analysis/Ryall-Omoregie/p/book/9781003308348?_ga=2055278745.1680471646&_gl=1*mmrc8z*_ga*MjA1NTI3ODc0NS4xNjgwNDcxNjQ2*_ga_0HYE8YG0M6*MTY4MDQ3NjkzMS4yLjAuMTY4MDQ3Njk0Mi4wLjAuMA..>

Please find attached to this email a flyer from Taylor & Francis offering a
20% discount  for the book with a discount code.

Book description:
This book is distinctive in its application of the early philosophy of
Ludwig Wittgenstein to misinformation analysis. It also proposes a new
theory of information quality. The book is timely as the issue of online
information quality (especially on social media platforms) is now
front-page news. The book proffers an alternative to the algorithmic
engagement-based ranking of content by social media platforms: a new system
for ranking online content based on information quality. The book also
introduced two new concepts to the scholarly literature: "off-information"
and "non-information."

>From the back page:
What is "misinformation"? Why does it matter? How does it spread on the
internet, especially on social media platforms? What can we do to
counteract the worst of its effects? Can we counteract its effects now that
it is ubiquitous? These are the questions we answer in this book. We are
living in an information age (specifically an "algorithmic age") which
prioritizes information "quantity" over "quality". Social media has brought
billions of people from across the world together online and the impact of
diverse platforms, such as Facebook, WeChat, Reddit, LinkedIn, Signal,
WhatsApp, Gab, Instagram, Telegram, and Snapchat, has been transformational.

The internet was created, with the best of intentions, as an online space
where written content could be created, consumed and diffused without any
real intermediary. This empowering aspect of the web is still, mostly, a
force for good. People, on the whole, are better informed and online
discussion is more inclusive because barriers to participation are reduced.
As activity online has grown, however, an expanding catalogue of research
reveals a darker side to social media, and the internet generally. Namely,
misinformation’s ability to negatively influence our behaviour both online
and offline.

The solution we provide to this growing dilemma is informed by Ludwig
Wittgenstein’s Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, which examines the
relationship between language and reality from a philosophical perspective,
and complements Claude Shannon’s Information Quantity Theory, which
addresses the quantification, storage and communication of digital
information from a mathematical perspective. The book ends by setting out a
model designed by us: a "Wittgensteinian" approach to information quality.
It defines content published online by clarifying the propositions and
claims made within it. Our model’s online information quality check allows
users to effectively analyse the quality of trending online content. This
approach to misinformation analysis and prevention has been designed to be
both easy to use and pragmatic. It upholds freedom of speech online while
using the "harm principle" to categorise problematic content.

Uyi Omoregie
Principal Analyst/Co-Founder
Avram Turing
252 Stone Road West