[Air-L] Twitter API change announcement - mutual aid and response letter invitation

Libby Hemphill libbyh at umich.edu
Sun Feb 5 05:10:02 PST 2023

Hi y'all,

Here's a note from the Coalition for Independent Technology Research
<https://independenttechresearch.org/about-us/>:

Last week, the Twitter Development team announced dramatic restrictions
<https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1621026986784337922> to API access.
These changes will disrupt critical projects from thousands of journalists,
academics, and civil society actors worldwide who study some of the most
important issues impacting our societies today.

Is your work affected by this? Even if you are not directly impacted, will
you stand up for the people who use this vital information resource for the
common good?

The Coalition for Independent Technology Research
<https://independenttechresearch.org/about-us/> and allies have drafted *an
open letter
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AtzYcBaFvcx8-EHGXpPx0qzc5lOAaw95eqUZHi1YEBI/edit?usp=sharing>*
that will be under press embargo until we publish it at *11am ET on Monday*.
We are also *organizing mutual aid for threatened research*. We invite you
to:

   - To receive/give mutual aid, please complete our intake form
   <https://forms.gle/jH4V6LhfBn38eEhJA>. You do not need to be a
   letter-signer or coalition member to receive support
   - Sign the letter <https://forms.gle/jH4V6LhfBn38eEhJA> for yourself
   and/or your organization (read the letter here
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AtzYcBaFvcx8-EHGXpPx0qzc5lOAaw95eqUZHi1YEBI/edit?usp=sharing>
   )

Please do not share the letter or invitation publicly on social media
before 11am ET on Monday, but do *please circulate this privately* to
communities that would sign, that need help, or can offer it. If you have
questions, please direct them to Bit Meehan <bit.coalition at gmail.com>.

- Libby
--

Libby Hemphill