[Air-L] Twitter academic API still collects data

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Fri Feb 10 09:20:01 PST 2023

The API changes were delayed until after the Super Bowl. There is a
somewhat rational actor somewhere in the SpaceX dust and fumes. I still
have no clear picture if the Academic API is slated to be degraded. Does
anyone? The free Search API is operating normally as of this moment. The
pushback has been impressive. Taking the long view, I think the rush to
look beyond Twitter without a clear picture of what is happening or why is
premature. No matter what the new policy is, studying the impact of
Twitter, even if you need a grant to do it, will remain important until the
system goes offline or social movements cease to use it, or elections no
longer hinge on whether accounts can Tweet and delete and Tweet using
automation to sway algorithmic rankings, etc. We all have examples of
strange things happening on Twitter that seem to matter. We have a duty to
study it, even if there are charges that are likely analogous to the cost
of interviews, field work, focus groups, surveys, and other traditional
$-first results later research.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 12:02 PM Yiran Duan via Air-L <
air-l at listserv.aoir.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Magically, Twitter academic API is still collecting tweets for me as of
> today. Is it the same case for you all?
>
> Best,
> Yiran Duan
> PhD student
> Syracuse University

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Founder and CEO, Texifter
Editor Emeritus, *Journal of Information Technology & Politics*