[Air-L] AoIR 2023 panel on Identities, polarisation and fandom

Tom Hale thomashale3 at fuller.edu
Sat Feb 25 08:57:03 PST 2023

Dear Sebastian,

Thanks for this post and sorry for the late reply. I'm curious to hear more
about the papers already in the panel, and I may also have something to
contribute.

The panel touches on some themes of my work, which uses linguistic
anthropological/sociolinguistic tools to analyze social media interaction
in which at least some of the participants support their positions on
public policy, politics, and/or social ethics using scripture, theological
reasoning, and/or spiritual authority. I haven't thought of this in terms
of fandom, though I can see how the concept could be stretched a bit to
include being a "fan" of a particular religious position. My work certainly
gets into polarisation and partisanship, though it tends to focus more on
"culture wars" issues than on economics (though economics and capitalism
come into it too). Of the themes you listed, my work is probably closest to
"Intersections of identities in religions, fandoms and politics."

I look forward to hearing from you about the current papers lined up, and
also whether you think my work has enough of an intersection with the panel
to make it a fruitful addition.

Thanks,

Tom Hale
PhD Candidate in Intercultural Studies