[Air-L] New Book and Article on the Dark and Creepy Sides of Robotics, Autonomous Vehicles, and AI

Oravec, Jo Ann R oravecj at uww.edu
Thu Mar 9 04:09:36 PST 2023

[Apologies for duplicate posts]

Greetings from Wisconsin!

My new article on anti-robot activity has been published in Technological Forecasting & Social Change. According to the kind Elsevier folks I am allowed to share the link below.  After March 14th, please email me if you need access for your research efforts.

Rage against robots: Emotional and motivational dimensions of anti-robot attacks, robot sabotage, and robot bullying is now available online, containing full bibliographic details.

To help you access and share this work, we have created a Share Link – a personalized URL providing free access to your article. Anyone clicking on this link before March 14, 2023 will be taken directly to the final version of your article on ScienceDirect, which they are welcome to read or download. No sign up, registration or fees are required.

Your personalized Share Link:

https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1gTZk98SGsuYN

My new book on the social and ethical aspects of robotics and AI also just came out from Palgrave Macmillan Springer (Good Robot, Bad Robot: Dark and Creepy Sides of Robotics, Autonomous Vehicles, and AI).

The book is available at https://link.springer.com/book/9783031140129

[https://media.springernature.com/w153/springer-static/cover/book/978-3-031-14013-6.jpg]<https://link.springer.com/book/9783031140129>
Good Robot, Bad Robot<https://link.springer.com/book/9783031140129>
This book explores how robotics and artificial intelligence (AI) can enhance human lives but also have unsettling “dark sides
link.springer.com

Here is the book blurb:

This book explores how robotics and artificial intelligence (AI) can enhance human lives but also have unsettling “dark sides.”  It examines expanding forms of negativity and anxiety about robots, AI, and autonomous vehicles as our human environments are reengineered for intelligent military and security systems and for optimal workplace and domestic operations. It focuses on the impacts of initiatives to make robot interactions more humanlike and less creepy (as with domestic and sex robots).  It analyzes the emerging resistances against these entities in the wake of omnipresent AI applications (such as “killer robots” and ubiquitous surveillance). It unpacks efforts by developers to have ethical and social influences on robotics and AI and confronts the AI hype that is designed to shield the entities from criticism. The book draws from science fiction, dramaturgical, ethical, and legal literatures as well as current research agendas of corporations. Engineers, implementers, and researchers have often encountered users' fears and aggressive actions against intelligent entities, especially in the wake of deaths of humans by robots and autonomous vehicles. The book is an invaluable resource for developers and researchers in the field, as well as curious readers who want to play proactive roles in shaping future technologies.

Again, please contact me for any questions and requests.  I welcome collaboration on these themes.

Thanks so much!

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Oravec (MA, MS, MBA, PhD)

Professor, Information Technology and Supply Chain Management, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

Holtz Center for Science and Technology Studies, UW-Madison, USA

https://uww.academia.edu/JoAnnOravec

http://oravec.org/

Author of Good Robot, Bad Robot: Dark and Creepy Sides of Robotics, Autonomous Vehicles, and AI (2022), Springer Nature

<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-031-14013-6>Good Robot, Bad Robot | SpringerLink<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-031-14013-6>