[Air-L] Call for papers: Practices of/for information access

Oltmann, Shannon M. shannon.oltmann at uky.edu
Thu Mar 23 18:47:45 PDT 2023

Colleagues-

~Please forgive cross-posting~

Please see below for a new call for papers in the Journal of Information Policy; I'm co-editing the special issue with Sharon Strover (UT-Austin) and Christopher Ali (Penn State). We are purposefully taking a very broad stance with respect to "information access" and we hope to see some contributions from this community. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

-Shannon Oltmann

Practices of/for information access

Manuscripts due by 6/15/2023

https://www.psupress.org/Journals/jnls_JIP.html (then click on "submissions" tab)

Information access is fundamental to communities of all sizes. Communities of all sizes and compositions, urban, suburban, or rural, dominant or traditionally marginalized, need the ability to access reliable, useful, and meaningful information. Information access has physical, social, and intellectual aspects (Burnett, Jaeger, & Thompson, 2008), which need to be contextualized in specific communities, times, and places. Access can be facilitated or constrained through specific policies, practices, companies, and social and civic institutions such as libraries and information organizations.

In this call for papers, we seek article submissions that problematize, contextualize, and begin to resolve the complexities of information access for communities. We are particularly interested in articles that offer useful practices of and for information access in the United States, globally, and comparatively.

Submissions may be specifically focused on particular aspects or examples of information access, such as what we have learned from past moments of broadband support and financing or the role of libraries in facilitating broader forms of information access. Other submissions may present a broad overview of the state of information access. Submissions may take a historical, theoretical, or empirical approach. We welcome submissions that describe (or problematize) practices, models, or theories related to information access (such as net neutrality, content moderation, or internet filtering).

We welcome submissions that consider information access in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, from an international perspective, with an interdisciplinary lens, and through the use of multiple methodologies. Co-guest editors are Sharon Strover (sharon.strover at austin.utexas.edu), Christopher Ali (cba434 at psu.edu) and Shannon M. Oltmann (shannon.oltmann at uky.edu). Manuscripts are due by June 15, 2023.

Papers submitted to the Special Issue should be anonymized. They should be submitted through the Journal’s online submission platform and follow the Journal’s standard submission guidelines (https://www.editorialmanager.com/jip/account/JIP%20Author%20Guidelines.pdf). For more information on the Journal, see: https://www.psupress.org/Journals/jnls_JIP.html

and for submitting your paper, visit http://www.editorialmanager.com/jip/

Shannon M. Oltmann, Ph.D.
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Associate Professor