[Air-L] AI Technology as Interactional Human Culture - Workshop - EUV Frankfurt (Oder) 30 & 31 March 2023

Marie-Theres Fester-Seeger fester-seeger at europa-uni.de
Mon Mar 27 02:09:46 PDT 2023

Dear All,

We'd like to invite you to the following workshop:

AI Technology as Interactional Human Culture - Language, Data Practice and
Social Struggle

"In this interdisciplinary workshop, we discuss AI culture from a critical
anthropological, sociological, and linguistic perspective. We treat AI
culture as human and interactional practice and investigate it as embedded
in wider social structures and linguistic conditions. Within this view,
users and programmers of AI are no autonomous individuals but part of
communities based on social affiliation, language, shared cultural practice,
and economic intentions. Together with scholars and practitioners, we seek
to give attention to the people "behind" and "in" the systems and their
societal and linguistic embeddings and critically engage with the role of
living human and 'enlanguaged' beings within AI systems."

Keynote speakers:

*Joanna Rączaszek-Leonardi (University of Warsaw)

*Emily M. Bender (University of Washington)

*Nicolas Flores-Herr (Fraunhofer Institute for Intelligent Analysis and
Information Systems)

*Andreas Hepp (University of Bremen)

The workshop takes place on Thursday, March 30, and Friday, March 31, 2023,
at the European University Viadrina in Frankfurt (Oder), Germany. You can
attend in person and online (on zoom).

Please find the program on this website:
https://www.kuwi.europa-uni.de/de/lehrstuhl/sw/sprachgebrauch-und-migration/
Vortraege_-Talks/AI-Technology-as-Interactional-Human-Culture/index.html

If interested in this workshop, please register with me
(fester-seeger at europa-uni.de <mailto:fester-seeger at europa-uni.de> ) to
receive the meeting links and/ or directions.

Best wishes,

Theres

Marie-Theres Fester-Seeger, PhD

Postdoctoral Fellow, Postdoc Network Brandenburg

Professur für Sprachgebrauch und Migration

Europa-Universität Viadrina

Kulturwissenschaftliche Fakultät

Große Scharrnstr. 59

15230 Frankfurt (Oder)

Germany

 <mailto:mt.fester.seeger at gmail.com> mt.fester.seeger at gmail.com |
<mailto:fester-seeger at europa-uni.de> fester-seeger at europa-uni.de

International Workshop "AI Technology as Interactional Human Culture:
Language, Data Practice and Social Struggle" at European-University Viadrina
(March 30 &31, 2023).

You can find further information here.