[Air-L] REMINDER: Centre for Internet Studies Online Lecture Series: Inaugural talk by Mark Andrejevic March 29th 12pm CET

Jakob Linaa jakoblinaa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 13:42:49 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues

A brief reminder. We have 40+ people signed up but there is space for more.

Centre for Internet Studies, Aarhus University, DK, is pleased to
launch our Online Lecture Series by welcoming professor Mark
Andrejevic, Monash University, Melbourne. Mark is among the world’s
leading surveillance theorists and renowned for several important
books.

This will take place March 29th at noon (12pm) CET on Zoom:

https://aarhusuniversity.zoom.us/j/67387758776

Everybody is welcome. To get an idea of the audience, participants are
requested to sign up by sending a mail to linaa at cc.au.dk

 Abstract:

The 'Biases' of Automation: Pre-emption/Framelessness/Environmentality

 With a nod to the work of Canadian theorist Harold Innis, this
presentation considers the "biases" of automated media systems -- not
in the conventional sense of "bias," but to consider what tendencies
of power and control we privilege when we make the choice to use
automated systems (within the constraints of contemporary social
relations). The presentation explores the relationship between
environmental forms of governance (with reference to Michel Foucault's
comments on "environmentality"), logics of pre-emption, and data
collection without limits. It considers both the imperatives driving
the development of automated media, and some of the cultural and
political consequences of their adoption.

 Mark Andrejevic is Professor in the School of Media, Film, and
Journalism at Monash University, where he is also a chief investigator
with the ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision Making and
Society. He is the author of several books including Automated Media,
and more than 100 journal articles and book chapters.