[Air-L] CFP - Flowing Futures at 4S 2023 - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.

Martin Perez Comisso maperezc at asu.edu
Tue May 2 13:22:12 PDT 2023

Hello everyone,

The Society for Social Studies of Science (4S) will have its annual meeting
in Honolulu, Hawaii, between November 8th to 11th. The event will be
hybrid. Our panel on the circulation of future thinking takes inspiration
from the territory of the event and the epicenter of future studies,
thinking, and intuitions in the Pacific. We invite you to share your work
on future images circulating, scales of imagination, applied, speculative,
and/or conceptual work.

Please, feel free to consider participating. You can submit until May 26th
your abstract (300 words). You can also participate in the multiple
activities that 4S and local collaborators are organizing in preparation
for this meeting.

You can submit through here:
https://www.4sonline.org/call_for_submissions.php
<https://www.4sonline.org/call_for_submissions.php>

*138. Flowing Futures: Ancestral, Mundane and Global Circulations on the
Scales of Imagination*
Martin Perez Comisso, SFIS - Arizona State University; Dayna Jeffrey, York
University;

Hawaií has been an epicenter of future-making since ancestral times: The
temporalities of living on an island (Kuga, n/d), sustainable
intergenerational practices (Chirico & Farley, 2015), narratives informed
by indigenous futurisms (Amos, 2016), and the forward-thinking Hawaii
Research Center of Futures Studies, which had pioneered the field and
methods of future studies for many decades (Dator, 1998). The latter is
also where Experiential Futures (XF) emerged over a decade ago (Candy,
2010), a practice that formalizes the connections between foresight and
design in vivid and immersive ways (Candy and Kornet, 2019). As STS
continues approaching the impacts of future thinking and anticipatory
knowledge critically (Konrad et al. l, 2016), we would like to dedicate
this panel to projects analyzing futures in movements spread through air,
land, and sea, or humans, animals, media, etc. In this panel, we invite
those working and thinking about circulation and scales of future knowledge
-imaginaries, narratives, expectations, and visions-to dive into the
concepts, strategies, and events that investigate the trajectories of
technoscience in future. We aim to share and discuss futures moving through
scales and fluxes of imagination, enduring infrastructures and/or
fictitious worlds. The increasing research in STS on popular and mediatic
techno visions such as the fourth industrial revolution, transhumanism, or
metaverse are particularly welcome to land (physically and intellectually)
in the continuous conversations around decentering and contesting images of
the future (Pérez Comisso and Jeffrey, 2023
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/19467567231164460>) combining the
wisdom of STS and the generativeness of futures studies in this session.

Contact: mapc.088 at gmail.com, daynajeffrey88 at gmail.com

Transnational STS, Scales, Imagination, Futuring, Foresight, Future
Studies, Imaginaries, Speculation

Martín Pérez Comisso / @mapc <https://twitter.com/mapc>
http://www.mapc.tech/  <http://www.mapc.tech/>
To schedule a meeting with me https://calendly.com/perezcomisso
Ph.D. Student, Human and Social Dimension of Science and Technology
<https://isearch.asu.edu/profile/3108937>
School for the Future of Innovation in Society

土 龍 Oscillating from 1988
+1 (480) 561 7033 (US)