[Air-L] Can we 'reduce, reuse, refuse'.. the digital? Digital Politics Summer School, 5-6 June, online

Adi Kuntsman adi_kuntsman at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 03:37:38 PDT 2023

Can we 'reduce, reuse, refuse'.. the digital? Digital Politics Summer School, 5-6 June, 2023 Our third online Digital Politics Summer School is here! The school will consist of keynotes and workshops, and will offer participants a possibility to participate in a follow-up publication. Attendance is free but places are limited - pleaseclick here to register. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/can-we-reduce-reuse-refuse-the-digital-online-summer-school-tickets-629849375437
Digital technologies can inflict substantial human and environmental harms: from extractivist economies of mining to toxic e-waste; from unsafe and oppressive working conditions to rising carbon and heat emissions and electricity use; from individal and collective surveillance to economic subordination and emotional depletion. These harms are unevenly distributed and deeply connected to social, economic and racial injustices. And yet, conversations about digital sustainability, climate change and environmental justice rarely use the logic of 'refuse, reduce, reuse, repurpose, recycle' with regards to digital technologies. Scholarship and policy on digital sustainability continues to insist on green digital growth, instead of posing crucial questions of degrowth and reduction. This summer school brings togetherprinciples of environmentally driven degrowth; decolonial and anti-racist environmental justice; and digital disengagement and opt out to explore whether and how we can reduce, reuse and perhaps even refuse the digital.
 Please click here for Programme and speakers https://digitalpoliticsmanmet.bloggi.co/can-we-reduce-reuse-refuse-the-digital-digital-politics-summer-school-5-6-june-2023

Dr Adi Kuntsman, Reader in Digital Politics
Programme Leader, MA in International Relations and Global Communications
and MSc in Digital Society ; Coordinator, PhD pathway in Digital Politics
Department of History, Politics and Philosophy | Manchester Metropolitan University
Geoffrey Manton Building|  Manchester | M15 6LL| Web | Digital Politics Blog

Visiting Fellow, Centre for Spatial, Environmental and Cultural Politics
The University of Brighton, June-July 2023

Recent publications:
Paradoxes of Digital Disengagement(co-authored with Esperanza Miyake, 2022,
Westminster U Press) is fully open access. Read the review in LSE blog

Digital Politics, Digital Histories, Digital Futures (co-edited with Liu Xin, 2023,
Emerald) is forthoming in May 2023. Listen to the podcast dedicated to the book

 "Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available on its website http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "