[Air-L] [self-promo] The Private is Political out 5/30

Alice E. Marwick amarwick at gmail.com
Wed May 24 08:35:22 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I am very pleased to announce that my new book, *The Private is Political:
Networked Privacy on Social Media, *is out next week on Yale Press! Many of
the ideas in this book were presented (in various forms) at AOIR and
similar conferences, and I'm so so happy this is finally in press.

https://bookshop.org/p/books/the-private-is-political-networked-privacy-and-social-media/18918773

Blurb:

A compelling firsthand investigation of how social media and big data have
amplified the close relationship between privacy and inequality

Online privacy is under constant attack by social media and big data
technologies. But we cannot rely on individual actions to remedy this--it
is a matter of social justice. Alice E. Marwick offers a new way of
understanding how privacy is jeopardized, particularly for marginalized and
disadvantaged communities--including immigrants, the poor, people of color,
LGBTQ+ populations, and victims of online harassment.

Marwick shows that few resources or regulations prevent personal
information from spreading on the internet. Through a new theory of
"networked privacy," she reveals how current legal and technological
frameworks are woefully inadequate in addressing issues of privacy--often
by design. Drawing from interviews and focus groups encompassing a diverse
group of Americans, Marwick shows that even heavy social media users care
deeply about privacy and engage in extensive "privacy work" to protect it.
But people are up against the violation machine of the modern internet.
Safeguarding privacy must happen at the collective level.

---

Thanks y'all and have a great summer.

xoxo
Alice

Alice E. Marwick, PhD (she/her)
Associate Professor, Department of Communication
Principal Researcher, Center for Information, Technology and Public Life
(CITAP)
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
amarwick at gmail.com
http://www.tiara.org  <http://www.tiara.org>
http://citap.unc.edu  <http://citap.unc.edu>