[Air-L] CFP: Forum on Propaganda in CSMC

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 03:40:10 PDT 2024

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to share the attached call for papers for a Forum in Critical
Studies in Media Communication, which I am co-editing with Dr. Marc O.
Jones. See below and attached for details for inquiries and submissions. We
look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best wishes,
Emma

*Critical Studies in Media Communication*

*FORUM - Call for Papers  *

*A Century of Propaganda Studies: From pen and sword to surveillant
smartphone.*

*Editors*

Emma L. Briant, Ph.D., Monash University, Australia

Marc O. Jones, Ph.D., Northwestern University, Qatar

This Forum marks what has been, arguably, a century since the birth of
modern Propaganda Studies: the flurry of scholarship that followed as a
reaction to the rise of fascist and Stalinist propaganda use in Europe at a
time of developing mass media. Propaganda is the deliberate use of
organized communications to influence an audience or audiences to achieve
political, or other, goals of a propagandist. Among propaganda’s features,
the powerful political interests it often serves, and their often
self-interested purposes, remain a constant: spreading ideologies or
shifting behaviors to advance the ambitions of governments, corporations,
political ideologues, authoritarians, fascists, imperialists, and even
democrats, across every continent. However, contemporary propaganda and its
global contexts have also seen rapid transformation during this century.
Firstly, the industries, technologies, techniques and media used have
progressed at an accelerating pace, from radio and TV to today’s AI
generative media, social media and data-driven microtargeting. Secondly,
there has been transformation in propaganda’s sociotechnical, geopolitical
and economic and even individual contexts - with important trends for
example in the political economy, globalization, professionalization,
datafication, personalization and commercialization of propaganda. Together
these trends have also shaped newer debates over lexicon (with synonyms
including ‘fake news’ and ‘disinformation’ rising and falling in
popularity) and advancing theory shifting priorities in the academic field.
Propaganda Studies has also evolved from a field dominated by white,
Anglo-American and male scholars of security producing its dominant
perspectives, toward one that is growing increasingly diverse in its
scholars, ideas, and focus - and in terms of region, positionality and
epistemology. We thus envisioned this CSMC Forum to consider what we have
learned from this century of propaganda’s scholarship and practice, and
indeed what we still need to learn. This Forum therefore asks ‘whither
Propaganda Studies?’ as we hurtle toward its future.

*We are especially interested in scholarship on:*

●      Propaganda theory and concepts - building on and incorporating a
long history of thought, commenting on today’s concepts, definitions, how
can theory be strengthened? How do we understand propaganda in relation to
related concepts such as power, violence, manipulation, influence, force,
trust, truth, etc.

●      What can we learn from the history of propaganda and Propaganda
Studies as a discipline? Especially lesser-known or marginalized histories,
and neglected perspectives or theory that might have new relevance today.

●      What is the role of powerful actors in propaganda today? What are
the changing roles of governments, insurgents, politicians, corporations,
individual influencers, oligarchs, intelligence firms, legacy and new media
industries, and non-profit organizations.

●      How do we research and theorize intentionality, paternalism,
deception, and diverse motives for contemporary propaganda?

●      How can propaganda’s influence be understood and/or measured in a
digital environment? What is the role of the public in persuasion? How
influenced are we? Audience and user-centered approaches to propaganda.

●      How does propaganda relate to other practices of war such as covert
operations, political warfare, hybrid warfare, lawfare and cyber-attacks?

●      What role does propaganda play in the international system and how
does it contribute to contemporary colonialism, global inequality,
instability, conflict and violence - epistemic or otherwise?

●      How are new technologies transforming the practice, strategies, and
impact of propaganda? What is the role of algorithms, surveillance and data
harvesting, online anonymity, hacking, digital tracing, generative media,
secrecy, transparency, censorship, and social media as a tool of
surveillance capitalism.

●      Examining the lived experience of propaganda and its differential
impacts on social structures, issues, and groups in society who have been
historically marginalized and/or targeted - for example: socioeconomic
status, urban-rural/global south, race, age, religion, gender, sexuality,
differently abled, or Indigenous communities, etc.

●      How do we strengthen theoretical frameworks and concepts of
propaganda studies to better account for neoliberalism, heteropatriarchy,
racial capitalism, globalization and data colonialism?

●      How has the political economy of propaganda transformed? Emerging
norms, dark money, profits, incentives - practices, violence, scandals,
etc.

●      What is the relationship between surveillance and propaganda, both
in history and today? How do we understand the combination of these
practices?

●      How does propaganda impact and interact with real-world phenomena
(e.g., protests, war and conflict, inflation, public health, climate
change, capitalism, globalization, etc.)?

We are also soliciting reviewers for the following books. If you are
interested in reviewing, please send the following information directly to
Jessica B. Burstrem, M.A. (she/they) Associate Editor and Book Reviews
Editor, Critical Studies in Media Communication, at jburstr1 at umbc.edu
with “CSMC book review proposal” in the subject line: (1) your name, (2)
full title and contact information, (3) proposed book or media title to
review, and (4) proposed timeline for the completion of your review. We are
also keen to receive suggestions for books to review and those keen to
review them.

*Translation, Disinformation, and Wuhan Diary: Anatomy of a Transpacific
Cyber Campaign*, Michael Berry, Palgrave Macmillan, 2022

*Routledge Handbook of the Influence Industry*, eds. Emma L. Briant, Vian
Bakir, Routledge, 2024

*A Century of Repression: The Espionage Act and Freedom of the Press*,
Ralph Engelman and Carey Shenkman, U of Illinois P, 2022

*Trafficking Data: How China is Winning the Battle for Digital Sovereignty*,
Aynne Kokas, Oxford UP, 2022

*Authoritarian Journalism: Controlling the News in Post-Conflict Rwanda*,
Ruth Moon, Oxford UP, 2023

*Digital Surveillance in Southern Africa: Policies, Politics and Practices*,
Allen Munoriyarwa and Admire Mare, Palgrave Macmillan, 2023

*Media and Nigeria’s Constitutional Democracy: Civic Space, Free Speech,
and the Battle for Freedom of the Press*, eds. Paul Obi, Taye C. Obateru,
and Sam Amadi, Rowman & Littlefield, 2023

*Abolishing Surveillance: Digital Media Activism and State Repression*,
Chris Robé, PM P, 2023

*Disinformation in the Global South*, eds. Herman Wasserman, Dani
Madrid-Morales, John Wiley & Sons, 2022

*Submission Deadline and Guidelines*

*Deadline: Friday, December 13, 2024*

Manuscripts must be submitted electronically through the *CSMC* submission
portal: <https://rp.tandfonline.com/submission/create?journalCode=RCSM>
*https://rp.tandfonline.com/submission/create?journalCode=RCSM*
<https://rp.tandfonline.com/submission/create?journalCode=RCSM>.

Essays should be prepared in Microsoft Word using a 12-point common font,
double-spaced, and no more than 2,500 words (including
references/tables/etc.).

Manuscripts should adhere to <https://files.taylorandfrancis.com/tf_APA.pdf>APA
7th edition <https://files.taylorandfrancis.com/tf_APA.pdf>. They should be
readable, accessible - prepared for any audience, so they could be easily
added to an undergraduate syllabus.

Please refer to and follow the journal’s manuscript preparation
instructions for authors:
<https://nca.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=RCSM>
*https://nca.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=RCSM*
<https://nca.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=RCSM>.

Authors should identify the Forum call their submission is responding to by
selecting the relevant drop-down option (“Propaganda”).

*Review Process*

In keeping with the journal’s current practice, submissions will undergo
rigorous editorial review. Please include “CSMC Propaganda Forum” in the
subject line of all correspondence and direct inquiries to both:

Emma L. Briant, PhD

Associate Professor of News and Political Communication

School of Media, Film and Journalism,

Monash University, Melbourne Australia

*emma.briant at monash.edu <emma.briant at monash.edu>*

Marc Owen Jones, PhD

Associate Professor of Media Analytics

Northwestern University, Qatar

*marc.jones at northwestern.edua*

--
Dr Emma L Briant

Owner: Maven of Persuasion LLC
Associate Professor at Monash University
Fellow at Bard College, Human Rights Project
Associate at University of Cambridge, Center for Financial Reporting &
Accountability
Speaking agent: Chartwell Speakers
<https://www.chartwellspeakers.com/speaker/emma-briant/>
Book agent: Inkwell Management <https://inkwellmanagement.com/>
Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.

Support my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/emmalbriant
Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk
Sign up for my Newsletter
<http://emma-briant.co.uk/sign-up-for-important-updates/>!
Follow me on Mastodon @emmalbriant at mastodon.online
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant

"I thought yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life but it turns
out today is." - Steve Martin
“Women are like teabags . We don’t know our true strength until we are in
hot water.” - Unknown