[Air-L] Assange

Lilly Irani lirani at ucsd.edu
Sat Jul 13 11:02:19 PDT 2024

Would you be so kind as to provide your article to this list? It is hidden
behind a paywall.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 6:28 AM KMV via Air-L <air-l at listserv.aoir.org>
wrote:

> I think you are on target in this article, both about Assange and your
> larger point.  In fact, I believe there have been reports that Assange knew
> that one of his primary sources, Guccifer, was a Russian Operative. (
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://x.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/982008395698880512__;!!Mih3wA!AVft9nVo8_IGnYGHFLNatiYWIQax1NKt4pmYIySZTJSIdRzGyNktQwPuyvpyzkmHF--zgRLpbFa7J9MM$
> ) Further, he has shown
> no remorse at all, for the harm other data releases have brought to
> ordinary people, including pro-democracy protesters in Egypt, to name just
> one example.
>
> Thank you for speaking up!
>
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 12:47 AM Dr. Emma Briant via Air-L <
> air-l at listserv.aoir.org> wrote:
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> > I have responded to a recent article
> > <
> >
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.crikey.com.au/2024/06/28/julian-assange-journalist-definition-wikileaks/__;!!Mih3wA!AVft9nVo8_IGnYGHFLNatiYWIQax1NKt4pmYIySZTJSIdRzGyNktQwPuyvpyzkmHF--zgRLpbG3p13bf$
> > >
> > in
> > Crikey 'Yes, Julian Assange is a journalist' by Johan Lidberg Head of
> > Journalism at Monash University with my own counter-argument:
> > 'Reader reply: I’ve experienced state-backed hacks. Assange’s
> ‘journalism’
> > is dangerous.'
> >

> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.crikey.com.au/2024/07/11/julian-assange-journalism-state-sponsored-hacks/__;!!Mih3wA!AVft9nVo8_IGnYGHFLNatiYWIQax1NKt4pmYIySZTJSIdRzGyNktQwPuyvpyzkmHF--zgRLpbCvvBTOf$
> > thought you might find it interesting.
> > Best wishes and thanks for taking a look,
> > Emma
> >

> > --
> > Dr Emma L Briant
> >
> > Owner: Maven of Persuasion LLC
> > Associate Professor at Monash University
> > Fellow at Bard College, Human Rights Project
> > Associate at University of Cambridge, Center for Financial Reporting &
> > Accountability
> > Speaking agent: Chartwell Speakers
> > <
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.chartwellspeakers.com/speaker/emma-briant/__;!!Mih3wA!AVft9nVo8_IGnYGHFLNatiYWIQax1NKt4pmYIySZTJSIdRzGyNktQwPuyvpyzkmHF--zgRLpbGNbS33z$
> >
> > Book agent: Inkwell Management <
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://inkwellmanagement.com/__;!!Mih3wA!AVft9nVo8_IGnYGHFLNatiYWIQax1NKt4pmYIySZTJSIdRzGyNktQwPuyvpyzkmHF--zgRLpbGszZhdT$
> >
> > Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
> > Change *from
> > Manchester University Press
> > Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr.
> Pauline
> > Donald from Pluto Press.
> >
> > Support my Patreon:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.patreon.com/emmalbriant__;!!Mih3wA!AVft9nVo8_IGnYGHFLNatiYWIQax1NKt4pmYIySZTJSIdRzGyNktQwPuyvpyzkmHF--zgRLpbGpquH2l$
> [...]

Lilly Irani
Associate Professor, Communication & Science Studies
Faculty Director, UC San Diego Labor Center <https://laborcenter.ucsd.edu/>
Co-Director, Just Transitions Initiative <https://justtransitions.ucsd.edu/>
Faculty, Design Lab
Affiliate Faculty, Computer Science
Member, Institute for Practical Ethics
http://quote.ucsd.edu/lirani/
http://justtransitions.ucsd.edu/

Books: Redacted <https://tallercalifornia.cargo.site/Libros> (Taller
California 2021) | Chasing Innovation
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691175140/chasing-innovation>
(Princeton
University Press 2019)

I respectfully acknowledge that I live and work on the unceded territory of
the Kumeyaay Nation that spans across and precedes the US-Mexico border.  I
further acknowledge the lands of the many other Indigenous Peoples of this
territory, and of those Indigenous lands where my work may take us in the
future. I give gratitude for their labor and stewardship since time
immemorial.

I wish to respect your need for rest and separation from work. Please reply
at a pace that is sustainable and respectful of you.