[Air-L] Book publishing questions

Robert W Gehl lists at robertwgehl.org
Fri Jul 19 08:50:46 PDT 2024

Hey, Mathias,

Broadly speaking, there are a lot of presses putting out books on social
impacts of tech, including surveillance tech. Just looking at my shelf,
I see Yale, Harvard, MIT, Oxford, NYU, Chicago, Polity, and Routledge.
I'm guessing my bookshelf would have titles similar to what I'd see in
your office!

As for promotion: a lot of that will depend on your department's or
faculty's standards. I would recommend looking at people who have
recently been promoted at Fordham. Are they also publishing books? What
presses are they publishing with? Do you get the sense it's about the
number of books, or about particular presses?

And as for working with publishers, a lot depends on your acquisition
editor. I have had the pleasure of working with some great editors, so
I've been lucky. But I have also heard some pretty nasty stories about
presses/editors (I won't go into them here).

The good news with academic books is that multiple submissions are
allowed (so long as you're up front about it). Send a proposal to 2-4
presses. See which editors get back to you right away and which let it
sit. Talk to them in person (phone, video chat). You've gotta work with
them for 2-4 years, usually, so a good relationship there is key.

- Rob