[Air-L] Attention and Perception in XR: hybrid symposium at King's College London, 21-22 June

Joanna Zylinska jo.zylinska at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 06:45:12 PDT 2024

   Dear All,

   Attention and Perception in XR

   A hybrid symposium

   King’s College London, 20-21 June 2024

   The XR and Attention Research Group and the Centre for Attention
   Studies at King’s College London have the pleasure to invite you to a
   symposium on Attention and Perception in XR. (XR stands for Extended
   Reality, encompassing Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality
   – and different forms of AI used to design those realities).

   The symposium combines presentations, discussions, immersive project
   showcases and networking activities across two days. It brings together
   scholars and creatives to discuss the problem of attention and
   perception in XR, and explore what XR means for us at this present
   historical and technical moment. The symposium seeks to open up
   discussion into:

   •             the physiological and socio-cultural mechanisms of making
   and shaping attention in and with XR

   •             how we might use those mechanisms to make XR spaces more
   body-caring and human-centred, and how performing arts might inform the
   design of those spaces

   •             how we might reshape the knowledge of cultural heritage
   and create new centres of attention across disciplinary boundaries.

   The event is hybrid (in-person and streamed online) and is free to
   attend, but registration is needed. For more information, please visit
   this page:

   https://www.tickettailor.com/events/centreforattentionstudies/1285267

   Best wishes,

   Joanna

--
Joanna Zylinska
Professor of Media Philosophy + Critical Digital Practice

NEW BOOK: [2]The Perception Machine: Our Photographic Future between the Eye and
 AI (MIT Press, open access)

NEW ARTICLE: [3]Diffused Seeing: The Epistemological Challenge of Generative AI
(Media Theory, open access)

[4]Website
[5]IG research notebook