[Air-L] Intimacy, Risk and resilience conference - September 6, University of Manchester

Jaime García Iglesias garciaiglesiasjaime at gmail.com
Wed May 8 10:28:49 PDT 2024

Dear all,

Apologies for crossposting.

I would like invite you to our conference: Intimacy, Risk and Resilience in
Online Dating
<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/intimacy-risk-and-resilience-in-online-dating-tickets-867362232787?aff=oddtdtcreator>,
to be held in Manchester on Friday 6 September 2024.

The conference marks the culmination of our ESRC-funded project: Dating App
Connections: Intimacies before, during and after COVID-19
<https://sites.manchester.ac.uk/dating-app-connections/>.

The project explores LGBT+ and heterosexual people’s use of dating apps to
negotiate intimate relationships during and after the COVID-19 lockdowns
and social distancing. We will present our research, findings and analysis
around intimacy, resilience and health in relation to dating app use.
Professor Sharif Mowlabocus (Fordham University, NYU, and a valued member
of our advisory board) will be giving the keynote address.

We are keen that the conference provides a space for dialogue around how we
use dating apps to manage love, sex and friendship online. We are very
grateful for the support of our advisory board for sharing their insight
and expertise throughout our project and we are delighted that many of them
will be joining us at the conference, including Prof Sharif Mowlabocus and
Prof Susanna Paasonen. We encourage attendees from academia, community and
voluntary organisations, policymakers and practitioners. Our aim is to
engage with your different perspectives on intimacy, health and resilience
and we plan to use the conference as the springboard to co-produce - with
interested attendees - a recommendations document on our key themes.

This event is free to attend and funded by the ESRC as part of the Dating
App Connections project. We want to include as many perspectives as
possible in our dialogue, and to support this we have a small number of
travel bursaries for people who work in voluntary or community
organisations or who could not otherwise attend the event. If this applies
to you, please let us know.

You can register via Eventbrite
<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/intimacy-risk-and-resilience-in-online-dating-tickets-867362232787?aff=oddtdtcreator>
 now, and we will be sharing the event more widely in the next few weeks.
We do hope you can join us in September, we would very much value your
attendance.