[Air-L] Call for applications - Doctoral contract (3-year) at CNRS (Paris, FR) - 'Spatial analysis and modeling of music streaming dynamics' - Deadline June 21

Thomas Louail thomas.louail at cnrs.fr
Fri May 17 01:06:33 PDT 2024

*** apologies for cross-posting ***

Dear colleagues,

If you know students who you think might be interested in the PhD
contract offer below, could you please forward it to them?

Best regards,
Thomas Louail

---

As part of the MELODYNAMICS project, funded by the CNRS
Interdisciplinary Mission, we are seeking candidates for a PhD thesis on
spatial analysis and modeling of music streaming dynamics. The thesis
will be enrolled in the doctoral school "École Doctorale Physique en
Ile-de-France" (ED-PIF, i.e. physics in the Paris region). The call is
open to candidates holding a master's degree in physics, computer
science or applied mathematics.

*Project summary*: Do new songs spread like epidemics, and do we observe
spatial diffusion effects? Does the size of the city we live in
influence the music we listen to?  How do recommendations and network
effects influence listening habits and the discoverability of songs from
different geographical origins? The rise of streaming platforms, which
are accessible in almost every country, offering standardized interfaces
and collecting highly detailed anonymized streaming data, allows for
addressing such questions empirically, and studying this important
aspect of human behavior. The doctoral student will investigate the
spatial dimension of listening habits and preferences, the influence and
interactions of different discovery channels (platform recommendations,
social networks of individuals, living environment), as well as the
spatial propagation of new music on a global scale. Identifying stylized
facts, building simplified models, and applying machine learning
techniques will be the tools used.

*Keywords*: Spatial dynamics of music listening; Spatial propagation of
digital content; Spatial diffusion models; Modeling of complex social
systems; Discoverability.

*Full description of the projet here*: https://bit.ly/4bzrPqX

*Profiles we are looking for*: Master's degree in physics, applied
mathematics, or computer science, with a strong curiosity and
inclination for interdisciplinary work with researchers in the
humanities and social sciences.

*Submission of applications*:
https://emploi.cnrs.fr/Offres/Doctorant/UMR8504-THOLOU-005/Default.aspx?lang=EN

Contact the PhD supervisors beforehand: Marc Barthelemy
<marc.barthelemy at ipht.fr> and Thomas Louail <thomas.louail at cnrs.fr>

*Application deadline*: June 21, 2024.

Interviews will take place during the last week of June or first week of
July.

*Start of doctoral contract*: October 2024.

--
CNRS, Géographie-cités et PACTE (associé)
Campus Condorcet, Bat.rec.sud, bureau 1.152