[Air-L] From HIV to COVID-19 to the end of AIDS: book launch (May 24, 3pm)

Jaime García Iglesias garciaiglesiasjaime at gmail.com
Mon May 20 23:15:20 PDT 2024

Dear all,

Apologies for cross-posting. I'd like to draw your attention to the
upcoming event for the launch of our book Viral Times: Reflections on the
HIV and COVID-19 pandemics. To mark its launch, we have organised a launch
event on May 24th, 2024, at 3pm UK time, see details below. Register here:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/from-hiv-to-covid-19-to-the-end-of-aids-book-launch-tickets-895365481257?aff=oddtdtcreator

What are the relationships and differences between HIV and COVID-19? What
can we learn from them for the future? Join the editors and authors of
Viral Times to discuss these issues and much more on this launch event.

At this events, the book editors will introduce the work and its context
and three authors (Theodore Ted Kerr, Carmen Logie and Anna-Greta
Mitterberger) will address the question: “What we have learned about
society’s response to COVID-19, and how might this inform our approaches to
reaching the 2030 goal of having no new HIV infections?”.

Our speakers include:

Theodore (ted) Kerr is a Canadian-born, Brooklyn-based writer and
organiser. He is co-author of We Are Having This Conversation Now: The
Times of AIDS Cultural Production (2022) with Alexandra Juhasz. He is a
founding member of the collective What Would an HIV Doula Do?

Anna-Greta Mittelberger is a sociologist and sex educator. In her
postgraduate work in the field of gender studies, she qualitatively
explored how individuals with vulvas experience their vulva, particularly
in a sexual context, from an intersectional constructivist feminist
perspective. She lives in Vienna and is passionate about de-tabooing
research on sexuality in science.

Carmen H. Logie holds a Canada Research Chair in Global Health Equity and
Social Justice with Marginalized Populations and is a professor in the
Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto, Canada. She
is an adjunct professor at the United Nations University Institute for
Water, Environment and Health and a scientist at the Centre for Gender &
Sexual Health Equity at UBC.

Peter Aggleton has a background in the social sciences as applied to well-
being, education and health. He holds senior professorial positions at The
Australian National University, UNSW Sydney, and UCL. He is an adjunct
professor in the Australian Research Centre for Sex, Health and Society at
La Trobe University in Melbourne. In addition to his academic work as a
researcher, teacher, editor and writer, Peter has served as a senior
adviser to several UN system organisations.

Jaime García-Iglesias has degrees in literature and cultural studies and
sociology. His work focuses on the sociology of sexual health as it
intersects with technology and sexual and gender minorities. He currently
holds a Chancellor’s Fellowship in the Usher Institute at the University of
Edinburgh in the UK. His most recent book is The Eroticising of HIV: Viral
Fantasies (2022).

Maurice Nagington is a lecturer, researcher and registered nurse at the
University of Manchester in the UK whose interdisciplinary work leverages
critical social science perspectives to address health issues such as
death, palliative care, cancer and chemsex.