[Air-L] Tool to visualize boolean logic/ search queries

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Mon May 20 04:10:26 PDT 2024

Yes. DiscoverText is a web-based tool, free for academics who sign up with
a valid academic email, with visual search results using highlights as one
of five key pillars of text analytics. This is year 17 of my team
engineering a system for conducting scientific, mixed-methods research
using human annotators to crowdsource and measure human reliability and
accuracy. Boolean search is a fundamental building block of what we do.
Search, filtering, deduplication, clustering, human annotation, measuring
inter-rater reliability, adjudication of disagreements, ranking of
annotators over time, and machine-learning (ML) are integrated parts of a
platform where the visualization of search is one of the greatest research
accelerators I have ever used. I will often set the list view to 500 or
1,000 results per page and just scroll through the highlights for a deep
immersion experience. We also enable labeling off the list view, so I
combine Boolean search results with ML predictions to produce extremely
clean lists where outliers are more easily identified. Finally, I use a
browser add-on called "HighlightThis" to create another layer of highlights
for particular subsets of discursive elements I am studying.

Here are some simple Boolean queries visualized in a short slide deck:
https://tinyurl.com/visualsearchresults

The dataset in this case is an interesting one. Most of these examples in
the slides are from November 6-7, 2020. The original Boolean collection
query was "Dominion AND (voting OR systems OR system)". There is an as yet
untold story about what happened in the first hours and days of the
Dominion Voting Systems uproar that cost Fox News $750 million. I am
currently looking for a collaborator or team to work with to write that up.
It is probably the most interesting 400,000 Tweets I have ever encountered.

For more information on our approach to "humans and machines learning
together" there are a few short introduction videos.
https://tinyurl.com/DTBasics

If you would rather use built tools than spend your time building them,
please book a meeting:
https://calendly.com/discovertext

~Stu

On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 8:35 AM Hashem Elassad via Air-L <
air-l at listserv.aoir.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
> is there a tool to visualize search queries?
>

> The Most Regards You’ve Ever Been Sent 😊
>

> Researcher / Content Creator & Curator/ Writer (Psychology, Career Choice
> & Development)
>

> Hashem ElAssad
>

> Follow me on LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/hashemelassad/>

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Founder and CEO, Texifter
Editor Emeritus, *Journal of Information Technology & Politics*
ResearchGate Profile <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stuart-Shulman>