[Assam] United they stay, in a tie of brotherhood (The Sentinel, 05.07.2007)

Buljit Buragohain buluassam at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jul 4 10:39:50 PDT 2007

United they stay, in a tie of brotherhood
Jorhat Mising joint family has 51 members
>From our Correspondent
JORHAT, July 4: For those seeking a glimpse into the ethnic life throbbing on the south bank of the Brahmaputra river here, the extreme end of north-west Jorhat is the most suitable retreat. And situated in a corner of the rural area, about 20 km from the town, is Bahnphola, a predominantly Mising-inhabited village. Apart from a fairly motorable road, there is nothing to write about the place, under the threat of constant erosion.
But amid all the shortcomings, a family of 51 members living in the village has lately become the centre of attraction. The joint family is headed by Anil Pegu, a school teacher, who has been instrumental in “keeping the flock together” after the demise of Bapuchand Pegu, his father, way back in 1974. He is ably supported by 85-year-old Pamoti and 80-year-old Domonti, the widows of the senior Pegu, who lord over as the matriarchs. The youngest member is a one-and-a-half year-old toddler.
Pegu has nine younger brothers who are all married and have children. His seven sisters have all been married off. The extended family lives in five stilted houses (called chang ghars) within the same compound. There are two kitchens, also on stilts.
“Earlier, we produced bumper crops on the 100-bigha plot that we till,” Manoranjan Pegu, one of the brothers who is a farmer, said. But the devastating floods of 1998 turned to wasteland large portions of their fields, bringing down the yield. “Though the paddy is just enough to feed us round the year, we still manage to sell off the rabi crops that we grow on our fields,” he pointed out.
With 51 mouths to feed, the meal cooks in a large saucepan on the hearth in the kitchen. For each major meal, as much as 20 kg of rice and 10 kg of vegetables are required. At this rate, the family consumes 60 kg of rice, their staple diet, every day. “The bowaris (daughters-in-law) cook the meals in turns, while most members toil in the fields,” Bineswar Pegu, another brother and also a farmer, said.
Apart from Anil Pegu, there are just two more members who have different professions other than farming. With another brother as a teacher, Pegu has a niece who is a trained nurse.
With more than 60 buffaloes, 40 cows, several piggeries and poultries, the family does not have any difficulties in making ends meet. “We also had an elephant which died last year,” Pegu said. The family has a common television (which runs on battery as there is no electricity in the area), one land phone, a tractor and four motorcycles.
And most significantly, there are 32 voters in the house. No wonder, whenever a political dignitary tours the area, he or she makes it a point to visit the Pegus’ household.
On the secret behind their ability to stay together in a large family, Pegu has a simple answer: “There have not been any major differences of opinion or quarrels so far in the household. I have never prevented my brothers from doing any work which benefits the family as a whole.” Echoing this, another sibling said: “However, our brother has been a strict disciplinarian, too. He does not allow any one of us to go astray.”

  (The Sentinel,05.07.2007)