[Assam] Day2: Assam 2007: Pt2; engg colleges, NRAs & C

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 10:40:38 PDT 2007

Hi KJD,

>In my considered opinion,the problem of flood is the most >menacing natural
calamity,experienced by the state every year >particularly since the great
earthquake of 1950

I agree, this is a much bigger and affecting more people than Engg.
colleges. And this is a problem that happens every year.

Yes, Umesh did report "after the negative reception he received at Boston
conference ". Don't know exactly what that means - but will just leave it at
that,

Regarding the annual floods: Here are thoughts (and I could be totally off
base in my assumptions)

IMHO, the annual floods are are going to happen every year. I don't think we
can increase/or decrease floods by human action.
The river will find the weakest embankments to crest, and will do so.

So, what exactly can the state do?
It can be ready for it every year by taking evasive actions.
Can be ready with large scale evacuvation plans including livestock
Can identify Highly flood prone areas, and advice settlers of the dangers.
Be prepared with medical facilities
Rescue operation readiness
Help farmers get back on their feet with seed/fertilizer supplies etc.
Help farmers acquire flood insurance - the state can mandate insurance
companies that they must offer reduced rates for farmers. The state govt.
can help farmers with the bulk of the premiums.

The list can go on.

--Ram